~28~

A few days passed since you said your goodbyes to Alya, and you were getting ready to go home. Without your son. He was not ready to leave yet, so he had to stay in the NICU for a little while longer. It broke your heart to leave him behind, but you would be visiting him every day until he was ready to come home.

"Do you have your charger?" you asked, stuffing the sweatpants you had worn yesterday in your bag. You'd changed into a different pair of sweatpants to go home in. You couldn't wear actual pants or jeans yet because of the c-section wound on your lower abdomen.

"Good one. Thanks, love," Dylan said, leaning across your bed to unplug his charger from the outlet in the wall. 

The door to your room opened and Holland stepped inside with Sienna on her hip. "Hi," she said. "Look who I brought!" 

You gasped. "Hi, baby." You walked up to Holland to give your daughter a kiss. Dr Goodman hadn't cleared you to lift anything yet, so you had to leave the carrying of your child to Dylan and who else offered to help you out. 

"I can't believe you're coming home," Holland said. "It feels like you've been in here forever." 

"Yeah," you agreed. "I wonder what the outside world has become." 

Dylan and Holland laughed softly. "Well, I can't wait to take you home, darling," Dylan said, pressing a kiss to your cheek. "Oh, most of the furniture for the nursery has come in. Tyler and my dad are coming over later this week to help me assemble it," he said then, heaving your bag onto his shoulder and handing you your phone.

"That's great. I hope we haven't forgotten anything," you replied. 

"The nursery is filled with boxes so I wouldn't be surprised if there are duplicates in there somewhere," Holland said, laughing. 

"Me neither," you agreed, sending your husband a sweet grin. He had ordered all of the things when you had been recovering from the surgery and couldn't stay awake for longer than two minutes at a time.

Dylan rolled his eyes at you. "I can't even be annoyed with you right now," he said, shaking his head. He then held out his hand to you. "Ready to go?"

"Absolutely," you said, taking his hand into yours. You headed to the NICU where Holland stayed outside with Sienna and your bags while you went in to see your son. 

"Hi, Declan," you cooed as you walked up to his bed in the far corner. Tim, your son's nurse, came up to you. He helped you get Declan from the bed and put him against your chest as you sat in the rocking chair by the window. "Hi, baby," you whispered, planting a kiss on top of your son's head. "Mommy and Daddy are heading home now but we'll be back in a few hours for your diaper change, we promise. You go make us jealous of Tim for a while because he gets to watch you sleep and we don't." Your throat started to burn with tears. "But we love you and we'll see you in a few hours, okay? Don't be too cute without us." You kissed his head again before you switched with Dylan and let him sit with Declan for a bit. 

You sat down in the seat next to the rocking chair. "I love you boys," you said softly. 

Dylan smiled. "We love you too." 

He finished saying goodbye and got up. With Tim's help, he put your son back in his bed. Declan went back to sleep within minutes. You said goodbye to Tim and headed outside. You had yet to stop crying. Leaving your son behind in the hospital was one of the hardest things you ever had to do, even though you knew you would see him again in a few hours. 

With Sienna, you got to take her home with you a few days after you had given birth to her, but Declan was a premature baby, which meant he had to stay in the NICU until his condition improved. 

Holland drove you home, the only sound in the car being Sienna's toys rattling as she played with them. After you got home and unpacked, you ordered dinner and after having eaten, you took a quick nap before you went back to the hospital with Dylan. 

"It's only gonna get harder to leave him, isn't it?" you asked Tim as you had Declan on your chest. Your son was grunting peacefully as he slept. 

"For some people, yeah. For others it also means that you're getting closer and closer to being able to take him home," he said as he changed the sheets inside Declan's bed. 

Dylan softly squeezed your shoulder. 

"I can't wait to take him home," you whispered. "Sienna is going to love him."

"She'll be a great big sister," Dylan agreed. 

Two hours later, you were back home, tucking Sienna in her bed. "I love you, baby," you said as you pressed a kiss to her forehead. 

Sienna reached out a hand and patted your stomach. "Babies?" she asked. 

Your eyes watered. "They're not in here anymore," you replied, trying your best to smile. "You have a baby brother at the hospital. His name is Declan. And you have a baby sister, Alya, but she's in heaven." 

Sienna looked at you with big eyes and you knew she didn't understand what you were talking about, so you just pressed another kiss to her forehead before saying good night. You turned off the lights and headed downstairs. 

You sat down next to your husband on the couch and he put an arm around you. "I hate this so much," you muttered through your tears. "I just want all of my babies at home." 

Dylan pulled you closer. "Yeah, me too," he said shakily. "But I'm glad that you're okay and that you're home." 

You nodded. "We're so far from Declan right now. What if something goes wrong and we're not there?" you asked. You had started crying again. "We're his parents and he's at the hospital while we're at home. It's not fair." 

Dylan shook his head. "No, it's not fair," he muttered. "There's nothing fair about this."