Chapter XVII: Bombing of Patch

Above: Oskar Dirlewanger portrayed in a movie by an unknown actor (At least to me.) The real Dirlewanger looked much more nasty.

It was supposed to be just another quiet afternoon in Patch island, in the Xiao Long household. Yang had just finished sparring with her father, everything as peaceful as it could get. The birds singing, the trees whistling to the motion of the wind.

Though there is one thing that stays true in the World of Remnant... Peace never lasts long.

It began as light whistling, then explosions in the distance. These weren't little potshots that came from the little artillery pieces that the German army wielded. These were much bigger bangs, caused by something huge. One every 12 minutes. Taiyang called his daughter downstairs.

Taiyang: Yang! Those just came from Signal Academy!

He hollered, whilst staring at black smoke coming from the distance.

Yang: What the heck's causing those explosions?

She asked, Taiyang just waved his hand at her.

Taiyang: Go get help! I'm going to go help them evacuate from the school!

He ordered his daughter, Taiyang rushed out the door and began to jog towards the academy. He turned back to Yang.

Taiyang: What are you waiting for Yang? Go now!

She nodded and began to dash... but where? Where would she find help? Blake? No, she can't reach her scroll from Patch. Weiss? She's probably doing a really important meeting right now back in Atlas. Ruby! She's in Vale, probably closer than she'll hope, but she's the only choice. Yang began to run, and dial Ruby's number.

Yang: Come on, pickup! Pick up Ruby!

The scroll displayed Ruby's profile picture, the call began. She planted her ear to the phone's speaker as she heard ever more explosions in the far distance.

Yang: Ruby!

Ruby: Yang, what's happening? What's going on? Are those bombs going off?

Yang: I don't know, Signal Academy's under attack! There aren't any aircraft in the sky right now. But there are still explosions going off. Where are you?

Ruby didn't reply back for the moment. Then she continued to speak back.

Ruby: I'm in Beacon Citadel, with Y/N.

Yang: WHAT? Y/N!!?!

She asked, bewildered. Had the Nazi really lives through what she saw happening at the airfield back in Vacuo?

Ruby: He he, yeah he's alive. Long story.

Yang: Get him here, I need to talk to him!

Yang breathlessly shouted into the phone.

Ruby: Alright.

After a few seconds, she heard his familiar German accent through the speakers.

Y/N: Gutan tag Fraulien Long.

Yang: Y/N! Signal Academy is getting SHELLED! Are you doing this!?

She ask-yelled into the scroll, causing Y/N on the other end to flinch away in order to preserve his ear.

Y/N: Nien, I'm investing a missing railg-... Didn't you say shelled? Miss Long?

Yang: Uh huh. Why?

Y/N responded in a heavily frantic tone.

Y/N: Vere ist Signal Academy located?

He too ask-yelled into the phone.

Yang: The Island of Patch, where me and Ruby live?

Y/N set down the scroll for a minute, before Yang heard him talking into the background with Ruby.

Y/N: Vere ist Patch located Fraulien Rose?

Ruby: There, that big island to the west.

Y/N: Ze Railgun can only shoot... *calculates* that long... so zat must mean... EUREKA! ADALARD I ZINK VE FOUND ZE RAILGUN'S LOCATION!

Adalard: Nien schiessen, seriously?

Y/N picked up the scroll once more.

Y/N: Don't move, I'll be right overzere vith mien men to provide aid.

Yang cut off the call, she looked back at Signal's burning scheme.

Yang: I hope they're alright...

Vale, Unknown Location.

Oskar Dirlewanger of the 36th SS looked with his binoculars at the island they were shelling at the very moment. The Railgun's ammunition was running low, after they've tested it to make sure it works. Dirlewanger instructed for the experimental gas shell filled with the deadly chemicals developed by Dr. Richtofen himself.

The men of the 36th lowered the barrel of the K5 Krupp Railgun and loaded the final shell. Once the firing hatch was secure the Railgun was rapidly lifted up again to the angle Dirlewanger himself specified the gun be fired at. A member of the 36th informed his commander.

SS Soldier: Herr Dirlewanger! Ze gun ist ready for ze feu-

Dirlewanger did not hesitant in waiting for the soldier to finish. He wanted this thing over with, they needed to get out of here quick before the non-radical Nazis found out about their location. And levelled the place with the Luftwaffe.

Dirlewanger: FEUER!

The Railgun lurched backwards as the deadly toxins were released... Designed to unleash the nasty pollutants on impact.

The people of Patch never did see it coming...

Dirlewanger; Let's get ze fick out of here. LOS!

The Oberscharführer ordered, the railgun was slowly turned around on the roundhouse they were able to find at the end of Mount Glenn's Underground Rail System, permitting them to fire at Patch and quickly retreat without much trouble.

Dirlewanger climbed into the engine and motioned for the engineer to get them out of the area. The Railgun was quickly hauled away, with little evidence of their past presence.