1. Return

As my hands gripped the edge of the stained sink, I exhaled as I evaluated my options.

It was too late to turn around. I'd already come this far, and I wasn't about to give up. Not this time.

The flickering of the bathroom lights left my eyes struggling to adjust, casting a dim shadow across my face as I stared into the rusted mirror.

Turning on the faucet and awaiting for the brown, splattering water to pass, I stared down at my knuckles, bruised from the endless torment I put them through as I prepared for this "grand" return home. Maybe if I was stronger physically, I would be so mentally. I guess it worked.

I think.

Splashing the now clear water over my hot face, I relished in the coolness as droplets gradually descended down my neck. Releasing a satisfied sigh and coming to a conclusion, my option to keep going, I retied my messy hair, wiped majority of the water that remained on my face and pulled open the bathroom door. I made my way over to the fridges and grabbed two large bottles of water and proceeded to pay for them on top of my fuel, and stepped out once again into the blistering heat. I fished my car keys from my pocket, struggling as I adjusted the enormous water bottles in my arms. Climbing up to the drivers seat of my truck, I started her up whilst simultaneously chugged down one of the bottles. Turning up the air conditioning and radio volume, I set off again with my destination closing in.

The late afternoon sun bore down harder on my skin as I edged closer to my destination. Flexing my fingers to rid them of the pooling sweat underneath, I wound down the window allowing the clean, mountain air to seep in and leave my hair dancing in its wake. Moving my hands to the bottom of the steering wheel allowing for the salvation of shade, my stomach began to flutter in anticipation. I was nearly home.

The road ahead flattened out and stretched in a long, straight line. The surrounding tree line that accompanied me throughout majority of my ascent began to dissipate as towering mountains loomed on the horizon with their caps gleaming in the afternoon light. The rolling green hills began to steepen and grow, signalling that I had reached the main road through town. As I progressed down the strip for another mile, a variety of scattered buildings, old and new, began to appear. I gulped as a wave of familiarity washed over me. As I progressed further into town, I lapped up every detail that reflected those that over the last three years only existed in my memories.

As I entered the main strip that contained the grocery market, a small cafe and pub, and of course the local police station, I could feel various eyes slowly direct their attention toward my truck, or more specifically, me. I didn't indulge in returning the gazes, and continued on, weaving through the various streets and finding myself alone again, parked outside a bright yellow house adorned in the green light of various palm leaves and bright rose bushes. I gazed around, taking in my surroundings and embracing the familiar warmth memories brought with it. I found myself staring at the towering peak that has been my favourite view since I could remember, its size casting a dull shadow over the vacant and crumbling house that stood adjacent to my childhood home.

The sound of a door slamming snapped me from my daze. Cutting the engine, I looked over only to see a flash of white hair. All I could hear was a faint muttering, catching a glimpse of a wooden spoon waving around in my direction. That was my cue to climb out my car, and just as I opened the door my Aunt Maureen yanked me out and pulled me into a tight embrace. "Wren!" She gasped, smiling brightly up at me. "What the bloody hell took you so long to get here?! I've gone and burned my bloody spongecake because I was too excited!" Even though I was a good head taller than her, Aunt Maureen was built like a lumberjack, and as we pulled apart I found myself gasping for oxygen.

"You know what the traffic is like when you leave the city, especially around the border," I laughed, attempting to mask my difficulty in regaining a normal breathing pattern.

"Everyone going for the cheaper fuel like bloody seagulls to a chip as usual?" Aunt Maureen questioned as she opened the passenger door and started pulling out my luggage. "Lets get you inside and out of this heat. I've made up your room as you like it, and you better not be planning on leaving again anytime soon young lady! I'm getting tired of stripping down and making up your damn bed every few months!" I swiftly grabbed the luggage from her hands, giving her a stern look.

"You guys do enough for me as is, let me at least mind my own damn luggage," I huffed, her only response was a solid smack on my arm with her wooden spoon.

Upon entering the cool relief of the house, I was hit by the recognisable scents of polished wood and freshly baked bread, with a mix of slightly burned cake. As I stepped further into the house, the floorboards began to creak just as they always did. "Where's uncle Liston?" I asked, staring at a cluttered wall that was decked with almost one hundred picture frames, all reflecting in the streaming afternoon light coming from the door.

"He's just down at the lawn bowls, his team made it to the finals so they've been practicing as much since," Aunt M called from the kitchen.

I tore my gaze from the wall and I made my way through the house and toward the hall, luggage and all. Opening my old bedrooms door with my foot, I stumbled in, taking in the space that was seemingly unchanged since the last time I was here. The minimal space consisted of white bed sheets and furniture, where specks of colour were found in the few vintage post cards still stuck to the wall and the large palm plant that miraculously was still alive. Placing my bags on the bed, I began unzipping and pulling out various articles of clothing, and packing them away. Such a menial activity calmed the anxious thoughts that raced through my mind. I needed to face the town sooner or later.

I heard my bedroom door click open as aunt Maureen shuffled in. As she made her way over to my bed, she gazed around the room. "It feels a lot better with you back in it, love."

I smiled in her direction and continued folding my clothes. Aunt Maureen was a small, plump women with a kind and soft face, but her eyes contradicted such softness as they embodied the tenacious fire of her personality. Her cropped white hair sat in thick wisps on her head, and would flow with each exaggerated movement she made. After a while of content silence, she cleared her throat. "In an update of some local news, we seem to have acquired a new constable at the police station. How exciting is that?" She smiled and winked. I shook my head and laughed. "I'm sure that'll rustle a few feathers. Especially if he's young, I know for a fact Mrs Haynes will try and marry her daughter off to him," Aunt M mocked.

"That or she'll try marry him herself," I retorted, leaving us both laughing loudly at the ridiculous but true thought.

"Apparently he's a city lad, which should make for interesting town gossip if you ask me. According to Senior Constable Evers, they've brought him in all the way from Melbourne," she smirked, "let's see how long he'll last out here." I stopped what I was doing, shaking my head, a grimace flooding my features.

"Oh, Wren," Aunt M stood.

"I left because I was sick of the gossip and ostracising on top of everything, but I guess small town mentality doesn't change, does it?" I sighed.

"I've been in Muloor for over 50 years my dear, and I can tell you things haven't changed. The only thing that can is how you deal with it. You've done it before in a much worse situation. You're a Jamison for Gods sake. We have thick skin," she said as she cupped my cheeks in her hands.

"Why do you think I'm back, Aunt M?" I smiled weakly. Her hands dropped as she stepped back, smiling brightly up at me.

"That's my girl." Slowly she began to walk out. "I'm expecting your Uncle Liston will be back any moment now. When he returns, I'll need to go fetch some groceries from the shop for tonights dinner. Unfortunately the broccoli in the veggie patch was a poor crop this year."

Forcing myself from the sombre train of thoughts that swirled, I eventually registered what she said. "No, I'll go now, I need a few things myself anyway. Besides, it gives me an opportunity to make my presence known again, nice and early." Rolling over to the other side of my bed, I pulled on my sneakers and grabbed my car keys. Glancing outside at the afternoon light, I mentally prepared myself to face the town.