10. Trouble

Hunts POV

I hadn't even been in this place a month and I already feel it could be the death of me, whether it be by fire, or a certain pair of ice blue eyes.

I was practically forced here, and from an optimistic angle, I thought it could be a break from the city. I thought nothing happens in the country aside from a few cows going walkabout. But clearly I was wrong.

Trouble seemed to follow me, and based on the small town whispers, it seemed that trouble was a certain someone. And the problem is, I happen to have a soft spot for trouble.

But when you've spent the last two weeks doing your best to avoid trouble, and she walks into a shitty community fundraiser dance looking like-

I knocked back my drink and turned away, facing Senior Constable Evers and re-entering the conversation he was leading with a few others, once again trying to be on my best behaviour and avoiding trouble, no matter how tempting it looked.

From the corner of my eye, I watched her swaying on the dance floor and tossing her head back, laughing. A part of me itched to go over, dance with her, laugh with her. But again she was dangerous, and I wanted out of this place as soon as possible, no strings attached.

But each time I caught a flash of red in my peripheral, the idea of me leaving began to blur more and more.

I excused myself from the dull conversation, finding an excuse in the makeshift bar that stood in the far corner of the gymnasium. As I looked across, I noticed another person, or more specifically, a guy, dancing alongside her and her yellow dress friend. Instinctively, I tightened my grip around the cup in my hand, glaring at the proximity between him and her as if I could control it with my gaze. She appeared to know him well, which was strange as I've only ever seen her alone, or with her yellow dress friend.
What the hell was I doing? How do I even know this? I'm such a creep.
Once again I found myself turning away and frustratedly slamming my cup onto the makeshift bar top, startling the small man working behind it. Just as I exhaled, I felt a hand firmly grip my shoulder.
"Elijah, I'm heading off now," spoke Senior Constable Evers, stifling a yawn. Since the fire, he had been working himself raw in order to find the culprit, and it was beginning to take its toll.
"No worries sir."
"Do me a favour son," he began as he looked behind him. "Keep an eye on Wren for me. She's having a good time, I don't want anyone or anything to ruin that." He looked back at me, his mouth stern yet his eyes smiling.

"I'll do my best, sir," I swallowed and looked down. I knew they shared a bond and I knew how protective he was of her, although he never really spoke of it.
I also knew something had happened based on the whispers throughout town, but I didn't have the guts to ask. Instead I just stood there as he walked out of the gymnasium, my eyes once again following the small red figure on the dance floor, hoping she would somehow reveal all the answers to my question.

Eventually, Elton Johns infamous piano rift echoed throughout the gym, and immediately their eyes lit up as the all began to sing along. As the chorus rang out, I noticed the mystery guy grabbed yellow dress friends hand and begin dancing with her, leaving me to release a breath of relief.

But then another realisation hit me. She was dancing alone. Swallowing my pride, I took a final swig of my drink and walked toward the dance floor.