7. Aftermath

I gasped for air.

The sudden impact of my back against the concrete robbed the breath from my lungs, and as I sucked in a breath, the sweet stench of smoke invaded my senses. The ringing in my ears began to match those of a distinct siren, and my eyes refocused on the flickering of orange, red and blue. A hand gripped the side of my face, guiding me to look directly up. Dark eyes flashed, and lips moved, asking me a question. I blinked hard to clear my disorientation.

"Hey, hey, can you hear me? Are you okay?" A hoarse voice called out. Looking up, I realised who I was pinned under.

"Wha-" I wheezed, "what just happened? Are you okay? Why are we on the ground?"

"Backdraft," he coughed out. "I covered you." He slowly let go of my face, a kneeled over me, inspecting my body for injuries. Sitting up, I pushed him back and climbed to my feet, dragging him up with me.

"I should be the one looking after you. I wasn't in the fire."

The various emergency lights illuminated his face, conveying marks of black soot and a grimace of pain. His forehead had a gash and his arms were covered in burns.

"We need to get you to the paramedics, right now," I called over the sirens. As he shook his head, I glared at him, and dragged him to the ambulance.

The following five minutes were a blur. Three medics worked on Constable Hunt as I found myself limping around with a blanket draped over my shoulders.

I saw my uncle helping the firefighters with the last of the flames, my aunt helping the paramedics, and  Evers sat on the bonnet of one of the patrol cars, his eyes glazed as he stared at the remaining building. As I looked around I saw various town people, some dressed in their pyjamas, all standing in the shadows, staring at the scene ahead, doing nothing. The Mayor and his wife stood huddled in front, and I felt his stare shift to my form. His gaze was ice cold, but I refused to flinch as I hobbled toward Evers.

"Evers?" I asked, stepping into his view. He opened his mouth to say something, yet nothing came out. Understanding his silence, I climbed onto the bonnet next to him. Silently, we watched on in shock.

"Do you think lightening did this?" I asked after a while, breaking the silence.

"Not lightening," he gruffly replied. "Someone."

We sat there in silence for what felt like forever. The firemen now sifted through the buildings remains, searching for the cause of the fire. Some spoke to the Mayor, and the Paramedics packed up, taking one of the Constables with them.

I slowly slid off the bonnet and shuffled toward my aunts car. My aunt and uncle stood together, holding hands and staring ahead.

"Hey," I called out and they turned to me, worry etched around their eyes.

"Oh, Wren," my aunt called, tears spilling out of her eyes. My uncle stood behind her, looking down. My aunt embraced me, and my uncle laid a hand on my shoulder.

"You guys go home together, I'll follow in your car," I soothed.

-

I found myself walking in the direction of my aunts car, paying little attention to my surroundings. Climbing in and shutting the door, I sat and watched the last embers swirling.

A soft tapping on the window pulled me from my thoughts, and I once again stared into a pair of dark eyes. As I rolled down the window, I noticed the various bandages that covered his arms, and the patch on his forehead. Opening the door and climbing out the car, my eyes widened at the extent of his injuries.