4. Interactions

"Okay, I'm not so mad anymore. At least we're beating the heat early," Laura mused as she wrung out her shorts. After the mornings excitement, we completed setting the pool up and assembled large umbrellas to shade the lifeguard chairs.

"I'll cover the front for the early starters if you'd like?" I asked.

"Nah, Jimmy's already in there, rearranging everything yet again. He looks after all that now." She said, pulling on her damp shorts and slumping into one of the chairs. She discreetly looked my way, biting her lower lip.
"How are you? You know, after all that happened," she asked, carefully gaging my reaction.
I nonchalantly shrugged. "I think I've had enough time to deal. I guess its time to move forward. Otherwise I'll just be stuck in the past." Silently, she nodded.
"You know we're always here. Your family and me I mean. And Constable Evers. Oh, and also Jimm-" I laughed, cutting her off.

"I know." I smiled her way as I sat in the chair next to her. She flicked my damp ponytail playfully and stretched back in her seat.

"Well, pool opens in fifteen, prepare yourself for a hectic day of sitting and yelling at kids," she winked.

"Well, if the pool opens in fifteen, that means I have it all to myself until then," I laughed as I stripped down to my one piece and made my way over to the diving blocks. Feeling safe in the presence of Laura, I  confidently dived into the cool water. I relished in it as it soothed all the tension built in my muscles.

By the time I finished my laps, I noticed a few people beginning to arrive. I hauled myself from the water, grabbed my towel and pressed my face into it, inhaling the soft scent of washing detergent, the signature one my Aunt has religiously used for years. Reaching for my long-sleeved lifeguard shirt, I began pulling my arms through the sleeves as I walked back over to the lifeguard chairs. As I approached, I noticed Jimmy standing next to Laura.

"Hey Jimmy! How've you been?" I called out. As he looked up, his heavy glasses slid down his face. Awkwardly readjusting them, he waved and shuffled over.

"Wren!" He squeaked. "I-I was wondering i-if you could c-cover the front? I need to c-check the pool filter, it s-stopped working yesterday," he stutters, a layer of sweat matting his curly brown locks to his forehead. "I-I mean y-you could ask Laura, too. B-but one of you n-need to stay and w-watch the pool." He continued, once again readjusting his glasses.

"Of course, Jimmy, I'll head there now," I smiled. He nodded briefly and bustled toward the pool house as I continued in the opposite direction. Laura shot me an amused look over her sunglasses and she lounged in the shade.

"Dibs not," she called out.

"At least I'll have aircon up there," I stuck my tongue out and she reciprocated.

I pulled open the door and the familiar creak sent a shiver down my spine. Brushing it off, I made my way inside and sat by the register, admiring the newly organised space courtesy of Jimmy. Although he was a quiet guy, he'd always been part of our Poolside team, and Laura and I were the only two he would really speak to. As my thoughts swirled I noticed a small polaroid stuck to the wall next to the register. Upon inspection, I saw the three smiling faces of Jimmy, Laura and myself all in front of the entrance house. At this I grinned like an idiot, thinking back to the day it was taken. Laura and I were probably Jimmy's only friends, which left my chest swell with warmth.

I was suddenly pulled from my reminiscent daze by the sound of a throat clearing. Looking up, I was met with a dark pair of sunglasses and a raised brow. "Hello, sorry," I mumbled, startled, "How can I help?"

Wordlessly, he gestured toward the five dollars sitting next to the register. "Did you want an hour or two hour session?" Once again I was met with silence. "Well an hour is two dollars, and two hours is four, so I'll go ahead and assume you'll have a two hour session?" Slowly he nodded, and I dug out his change from the till. He held his hand out, awaiting me to drop it in his extended palm. I noticed the heavy, dark lines of tattoos stretching up his arm, but I paid no further attention. Giving him a few coins, I slammed the register shut and smiled slightly, relieved for this little encounter to be over. "Enjoy your swim."

It took me a few moments after my small interaction with the tattooed stranger to realise who I just served, and as I smacked my head, for the second time that day, on the register, Jimmy walked in. "All done, Wren," he muttered as he straightened one of the swimming safety posters on the wall. I peeled myself from the register chair and walked past him toward the pool, still inwardly cringing.

I headed straight for the lifeguard chairs, and noticed Laura now sitting completely rigid, her eyes focused on one particular spot near the pool and her sunglasses loosely resting in her hand. "Dude, stop staring, you're being weird," I said as I slapped her arm. Her mouth was slightly open and as I sat down, she slowly turned to face me, her eyebrows raised in surprise.

"Who is that?" she breathed. Confused, I tore my eyes from hers and looked around the pool area, noticing the other swimmers sharing similar reactions, their eyes all boring into the back of the stranger.

As for the stranger, his now exposed torso was covered in intricate, black ink designs that spread across his body. His now unshielded eyes glanced up and a wave of familiarity hit, reminding me of what happened the first time I saw him. My eyes followed as he stepped up to one of the diving blocks, and plunged gracefully into the blue, leaving ripples of disruption on the surface. Blinking excessively, I looked back at Laura, who's eyes were back in the direction of the pool, looking stunned.

"That's the new Constable, I believe."