3. Past & Present

I waved goodbye to Laura and Jimmy as I hauled the last of the lane markers from the water. I was on lock up duty today, and as the afternoon sun began to descend behind the mountains, leaving a pink sky in its wake, I felt a nagging urge to hurry. The hairs on the back of my neck stood on edge as I heard the side gate slam shut, signalling I was completely alone. I finished up with my poolside tasks and made my way to the entrance house, keys in hand. I closed up the till and sloppily put the money in the safe, my hands shaking anxiously to leave. Just as I dropped the last of the money into the safe, I heard the entrance house door slowly creaking open.

Panicking, I spun to face it only to see it swaying in the breeze. Releasing a breath of relief, I shut the safe and made my way to the door. After successfully locking up, I made my way to the hiding place allocated for the keys.

Just as I was about to place them under the rock, an icy chuckle rang out from behind me, causing me to freeze.

"Somebody seems a little on edge." Slowly I turned to seek out the voice, and was met with the intimidating stature of the eldest son of Mayor Thomson. His arms were folded across his chest and his mouth was smirked. His bright green eyes however, were completely expressionless.

"Julian," I whispered in shock.

"Someones been very naughty," he said cooly as he stalked forward. I shrank back, only to hit the wall behind me.

"What are you doing here," I croaked, only for his smirk to broaden. He closed in on me, leaning one arm against the wall just above my head, trapping me in.

"Like I said before, Wren. You've been very naughty, and I thought it was best I come straighten things out myself." Slowly, he traced the outline of my cheek with his finger. I shuddered in response, turning my face away. "That way you understand my message a little clearer this time." His arm dropped from the wall as he stood back, staring at me with cold, vacant eyes.

Suddenly, his hand swung at my face, hard, and I found myself on the ground. Before I could register what had happened, I was roughly grabbed by my hair and dragged toward the pool. I could hear his breathing growing erratic as he he pulled my body.
"I thought I told you," he growled, "to stay the hell away from other guys."

I could feel my cheek burning and my eyes sting as tears pooled. "I don't know what you're talking about!" I cried out through gritted teeth.

Pulling me up to my feet by my hair, he grabbed my face as he brought his closer, his teeth bared and lines of anger etched his facial features, casting a shadow across his eyes. "Of course you don't," he snarled, and violently shoved me into the frigid water.

My head smashed against the bottom of the pool, overwhelming my sense of direction as I searched for the surface. Just as I surfaced and gasped for air, I was pulled under again, and held in place.

Strong hands encircled my neck and pushed me further down, leaving me choking for air as water bang to seep into my lungs. I struggled and grabbed at the arms holding me down, leaving angry marks across the skin. I kicked out as hard as I could, but to no avail. All I could focus on where the harsh green eyes that hovered inches from my face. Panic dominated my senses, and a shrill screaming rang out in my ears like alarm bells.

I jolted upright, my legs entangled in my bedsheets and drenched in sweat. The cool morning air seeped in from my window, leaving me shivering as it nudged me into further consciousness and calmed my heart rate. Looking around my room, still panting slightly, I focused on the gradually brightening morning glow that illuminated my curtains, allowing my breathing to steady. The muffled sound of my alarm continued and shakily I lifted my pillow to the assaulting noise, excessively tapping at the screen to get it to stop.

Detangling my legs from the sheets, I hauled my sore body from the bed and made my way over to the small bathroom. Staring at my unusually pale features in the mirror, I splashed my face with cool water and began to brush my teeth, having completely lost my appetite.

I dragged myself from the bathroom to my cupboard, pulling out the various articles of clothing that consisted of my uniform. After changing into my attire, I creeped through the house in search of my car keys.

Soon I found myself walking down the driveway, my sneakers squeaking slightly on the damp concrete. I climbed into my car and turned the ignition, only to hear the engine stuttering and groaning. Trying again to no avail, I sighed and smacked my head onto the steering wheel. Just another thing to add to an already great morning.

Making a mental note to work on the engine after work, I began my journey to the local swimming pool on foot, the coolness of the early morning forcing me to pull the sleeves of my lifeguard jersey further down.

After a few minutes, I approached the battered fence at the end of the street, and peered through it. The light rays from the early morning sun danced on a blue body of water, interrupted only by an object skimming across the surface.

A figure stood at the edge, pulling a pole back and forth in silence, clad in the very same uniform I wore. She was tall in stature with short brown locks that had golden streaks throughout, as if kissed by the sun. Warm brown eyes followed her actions as she scooped out more debris from the waters surface. Laura, my best friend who was totally oblivious of my return to Muloor, continued her task as I apprehensively moved toward the very place that played a starring roll my nightmares.

I slung myself over the fence with ease, and at the sound of me landing, she whirled around. Surprise ignited her eyes and her mouth gaped and emitted a squeak, and then a sudden splash. My sneakers were drenched in return, and I doubled over in laughter, not expecting her reaction. Laura resurfaced, spluttering and coughing, and her eyes wildly darted to my crouched form.

"What. The. Hell. Wren. Jamison." She gasped out, anger taking over her expression.

"I-I'm sorry," I breathed in between snorting. "Are you okay?"

"Well," she began, swimming menacingly forward. "I get a bit of a surprise at about seven in the morning." She pulls herself out of the water, sitting on the edge of the pool, still staring at me with an annoyed expression. "Which ends up with me unnecessarily drenched, by a certain someone who DID NOT CALL ME FIRST THING SHE ARRIVED! BUT I'M DOING JUST GREAT!" Pulling off her now saturated shoes, she jolted to her feet and ran at me.

I quickly turned and ran as fast as possible in the opposite direction, but not fast enough to miss the two shoes being hurled at me. With me shouting apologies as she continues her pursuit, I eventually I face my fate as I'm tackled into the pool.