2. Unexpected Implication

Pulling up to the Grocers Market, I climbed down from my rust bucket of a pickup and started toward the entrance. As soon as I entered the small shop, the cooler air from the fridges licked at my sweat drenched neck and relaxed the knots that formed over the extensive drive.

Grabbing a basket, I ventured toward the fruit and vegetable fridges, trying to lap up as much of the cold before having to head out into the sun. Grabbing what I needed at a slower pace than normal, I explored the various aisles, seeking out various snacks, mostly for future camping trips out of the valley. Camping had been a tradition for my family and myself growing up, and we were often accompanied by my best friend Laura. Which reminded me, I had to go see Laura as soon as possible. Placing my items at the checkout, I was met with the abrupt sound of someone clearing their throat. Harshly.

Looking up, I came face to face with none other, the queen of town gossip, Deborah Haynes. There she stood, tapping her sharply manicured finger nails on the bench, raising a thin, poorly drawn eyebrow that resulted in a glimpse of bright blue eye shadow and a brief smoothing of the extensive wrinkles around her eyes. I could feel her eyes raking over me in judgement.
"Well well well," she spoke in a tone dripping with complete discontent. "Look who has finally returned, after three years of rendezvous."

"I'm honestly surprised you counted," I muttered under my breath.

"What?"

"Nothing."

Continuing to glare at me with her soulless, coal coloured eyes, she started to scan the items on the counter. "So, what made you decide to show your face again here, did you get bored of your new life? Left at the alter? Pregnant? Did your man leave you? Did you even have a man? Or did you come back because you couldn't find a man? Or maybe not enough drama to satisfy your needs for it? Tell me, did you come back to stir up more shit?" She snapped questions with a cruel smile slowly spreading across her brightly coloured lips. Paying for my items silently, I sucked in a deep breath, fighting the urge to climb across the counter and smack her head into the till repeatedly.

"I just missed your beautiful personality, Deb." I picked up my bags and left before she could say anything else.

Walking out into the heat again, I slowly made my way to my car. As I walked along the shade, seeking out any source of protection from the sun, I gazed into the various small shop windows as I passed by. In the reflection of one, I noticed a local police car pull up. As I turned to face it, Senior Constable Evers, with his greying hair, warm brown eyes and tall stature climbed out. As he spotted my figure, his eyes lit up and he walked over. "Wren! I didn't realise you were back, darl!" He embraced me, careful not to squash the grocery bags in my arms. "How are you doing? How long have you been back?" He asked, his eyes scanning my face.

"I'm good," I smiled in reassurance. "I've really only been back for about an hour, just settling in before I make my rounds to catch up with everyone. How about you? What's new?" Shooting me a suspicious glare, he shrugged and continued.

"Well I'm about to interview our new recruit, but I'm sure your Aunt filled you in on that news." Laughing in response, I nodded. "Unfortunately I have to run, gotta get this paperwork signed off by him, I'm just meeting him at Elsa's in five." He gestured toward the small cafe ahead. "I'll give you the evening to settle in but I expect a visit at the station from yourself, we have catching up to do!" he gave me a friendly wink and rushed into the cafe, the bell jingling as he entered.

Continuing on my journey back to the car, and adjusting one of the grocery bags hanging on my shoulder, I glimpsed into the café where Evers was settling into a booth by the window. I lazily looked over to the person sitting adjacent to him.

Suddenly, my gaze was trapped by a pair of dark eyes that emanated heat, creating a strong contrast against my ice blues. The intensity of his eyes held mine in place, and my breathing hitched.

As soon as they were torn from mine, I took in his figure and noticed dark etchings and patterns seeping from the collar of his shirt and down his arms. Then noticed his jaw twitching in annoyance.

I whipped my head away and quickened my pace toward my truck. I ripped my keys from my pocket and unlocked it, throwing the groceries onto the passenger seat. Gripping the steering wheel, I released a breath I hadn't realised I was holding. What the hell?

Parking my pickup on the curb out front of the house, I gathered the groceries and headed inside. Yelling out to my aunt of my arrival back, I placed my keys on the dining room table, and the bags on the kitchen bench. I began pulling out the contents just as Aunt M entered the kitchen. "Ahh finally back, and with extras I see?" she raised a brow at the multiple packets of biscuits I held sheepishly in my hands. Laughing, she bustled forward, pulling the various pieces of broccoli from the bags, placing some in the freezer for future meals.

"I ran into Deborah at the shop." I cringed and my aunt followed suit.

"Ecstatic to see you I would assume?"

"Absolutely." Our eyes rolled in sync. "I also saw Evers, on his way to meet the new connie in Elsa's."

"Oh? I'm sure he was actually thrilled to see that you're back!" She smiled warmly in my direction. I paused, my hand gripping the edge of the table top.

"I also saw the new recruit." Aunt Maureen stopped midway through closing the freezer door.

"Well?" She looked at me, apprehensively.

"Uh, well-" I began, but was cut off by the sound of the screen door slamming. The figure entering was the tall, lanky stature of my Uncle Liston. His skin tanned from the years of exposure to the Muloor sun, hair as white as the mountain snow caps and brown eyes that cast warmth into the room, my uncle stood before me, his presence lifting any weight that was previously felt.

"Wren! My Dear!" He hobbled forward and wrapped me up in a tight, familiar embrace. Wrapping my arms around my uncle, my father figure, I rested my head onto his chest, a gesture that always brought me comfort.

"Uncle Liston! I missed you so much! How are you doing?"

"As well as ever my dear, we both missed you so much." Moving out of the embrace and smiling contentedly together as Aunt Maureen also made her way over, it had felt like forever since I had been back with my family. This was the exact moment I vowed to stop running. It was time to face what happened. Muloor was home, whether I was accepted or not.

Dinner was spent with the three of us sitting around the table, laughing and joking, recounting and making up for lost time together, and enjoying the hearty meal we collectively prepared. Although the overall atmosphere was light hearted, I could see the underling worry in their features.

Finally we settled in the front living room, underneath the array of frames that decorated the wall. Uncle Liston was flicking through the various television channels, and Aunt M was finishing off a world sleuth puzzle. I absentmindedly scrolled through through my computer, reminiscing on the many photographs from previous camping trips, to planting our veggie patch, to fixing up the old van with my uncle.

Suddenly, the roar of an engine coming down the street interrupted the bubble of comfortable silence between us, with my Uncle and I exchanging curious glances. Aunt M climbed up from her seat, and peeked out of the window into the darkness outside.

A flash of headlights illuminated her face briefly, and the rumbling of and engine abruptly stopped across the road. My aunt turned from the window, a sly look played across her expression. "Looks like we have a new neighbour."