Short Scraps 12

[] Song-Waiting for the sun by Approaching Nirvana []

I leaned against the cold train wall, panting heavily. I could faintly hear Evan and Hayes in the next cart, but it was muffled by the metal door between us. Sitting in the train brought back so many memories…the first time I’d caught the train after I’d chosen Dauntless.

When I’d taken the train to see my brother. 

And taking the same route as now, to the edge of the city, with my family and Tobias, Peter & Marcus. 

But it didn’t matter now.

They were all dead.

And I should be too. I should be with them, not fighting till I’m nothing but skin and bones here, in Chicago. I should be with Tobias and my family. And all my friends. Uriah. Zeke, Lynn, Marlene, Christina, Will, Al….even Peter. He wasn’t so bad in the end. We were both just lost souls looking for someone to fight with, really.

I could see that we were close now, the train had already zoomed past the Abnegation sector, with surprisingly no Factionless on board.

Like when Edward was on the train. He could’ve shot me, but he’d chosen to leave me. To take me back to Evelyn. 

He went insane. I guess that’s just what war does to people like him.

If he’d passed Initiation, maybe I’d have even been friends with him. Passed. Right. I had forgotten about the butter knife problem. Even if he had continued, he probably wouldn’t have gotten past with his one eye. 

The train gave a sudden jolt, and started to slow down, just the tiniest bit. That’s it. We’ve reached the end of the line. Where the Amity farm, or farmed, and where the fence has been left defenceless. Of course. Any Dauntless will be out fighting a pointless war with no leaders.

I couldn’t help but feel the overwhelming grief-the anger and the restlessness. I want to get off this train. Without thinking, I stood up and hurled my weight out the train. I landed awkwardly on my side, and I had to grit my teeth from crying out. 

Evan and Hayes came shorty after, both running to where I lay. ‘Are you alright?’ 

Evan’s brow creased. ‘She’ll be fine. We need to keep going.’

-*-

[Song-Nothing left to say/Rocks by Imagine Dragons]

The Insurgent base was bigger than I thought. It was like the Erudite compound in a way, a maze of rooms and hallways I couldn’t even begin to remember. But it was less structured. An office here, a testing room there. There were countless places, a huge cavern, a round mahogany about the size of my Dauntless apartment, a glass roof with so many panels that the world outside is tainted and distorted.

The place we go first is a simple white room with a lot of space. It seems nice enough. It has a kitchen, a small living space and what looks like 3 bedrooms. 

I take Tris straight to the biggest bed, with a teal coloured mattress and so many pillows it’s hard to see the wall. She lyes, eerily still, on top of the blankets. I watched the steady rise and fall of her chest.

‘I need a name change.’ I whispered, staring up into the ceiling. ‘I’m beginning to forget who I am.’

There was an incoherent mumble from Tris. “What do you want it to be?”

I gave a light shrug. ‘I like the last name Ravender’ 

-*-

Woo sorry for the short chapter, but I really am lazy and I need to sort out Jordy’s name mess. I like Hayes and Jordan but it just doesn’t fit together and I obviously can’t use Caleb in this. 

I like the last name Ravender, but I want his last name to have meaning. And I want the first name to not be cliche, but still original.

God I’m picky.

If you have any suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated.

Danke

FAREWELL BRETHERIN!

~Arroe