Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Dan POV

Today was the day I was moving to Manchester. I had been waiting for this day for a while now. I finally got enough money to rent a house. It was a bit further away from my parents than I’d hoped, but that wasn’t a major issue. Everywhere in London seemed too out of my price range. I almost settled for a crappy flat it a dodgy part of London, but then I came across this house.

It was a two bedroom house, so it wasn’t massive, but it was definitely big enough for me. When I had come up to Manchester to look around, the landlord told me that it had been rebuilt about 7 years before because it was burnt down, so it was fairly new. The reason I decided on this place rather than the flat was because this was only slightly more expensive, but it was bigger, so it was worth the money.

The journey up to Manchester was quite long, about 3 and a half hours, and sitting in a small car, listening to my dad singing, and my mum commenting on where we were and if she’d been there before, was quite boring, and slightly annoying.

When we finally arrived, I was the first out the car. I needed to stretch my legs and get some fresh air.

“Someone’s in a hurry.” My mum remarked as I got to the front door. The moving van pulled up just behind the car and two men got out.

“Dan, you have to help with all this. We’re not doing it all for you.” My dad called after me.

“Yeah, I know.” I said. All of a sudden, the front door of the house opened and a man walked out.

“Ah, Daniel, was it?” He asked.

“Dan.” I corrected. I remembered him from when we came to visit. “Tony, right?” I doubled checked.

“Yeah, nice to see you again.” He said, shaking my hand. My mum walked over. “Ah, Mrs Howell, lovely to see you again.” He said.

“Lovely to see you too.” She said.

“Right, Dan, shall we get this stuff moved in then?” He asked me.

“Yeah.” I said.

We all started unloading the van, taking the stuff out and putting it in the living room of the house. About 45 minutes in, Tony’s phone rang. After hanging up from the call he walked over to my dad and I.

“I'm so sorry, I have to go and sort some things out. Here are the keys. I hope you settle in well.” He said.

“He’ll be fine. Thank you.” My dad said.

“Bye.” I said as he walked away.

“Well he seems nice.” My dad said.

“Yeah, he’s alright.” I said.

“Come on; let’s finish moving all of this.” He said. We both walked back to the van and carried on unloading the stuff.

By the time everything was unloaded from the van and the boxes were on the right rooms, it was about quarter to 6.

“Food anyone?” My dad asked, walking into the living room with takeaway. He had disappeared about 20 minutes beforehand.

“Yeah, I'm starving.” I said, taking the food off him and going to the kitchen. I stopped halfway there. “I have no plate unpacked.” I told them.

“We don’t need them. Just eat it out the paper.” My mum said. My mum and dad took a seat on the sofa, after clearing part of it to make room, and I sat on the floor.

At around 8 o’clock, my mum and dad decided it was time for them to leave.

“Will you be alright tonight?” My mum asked.