Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Dan POV

After last night, I decided it was time to get to work trying to find out what happened to Phil. I had been having trouble with the hot water in the house, so I used that as an excuse to get Tony, my landlord, over. I dialled his number and waited for him to answer.

Hello?” He answered after a few rings.

“Hi, it’s Dan.” I said into the phone.

Oh, hello Dan. How is the house? Is it okay? Up to your standards?” He joked.

“Yeah, it’s fine, except one small problem.” I said.

Oh, what’s that?” He asked.

“Well, the hot water hasn’t been working properly. Occasionally I just have none. It’s doing my head in.” I said. I heard movement from behind me and turned to see Chris in the room. He went to say something, but I waved him off with my hand, telling him to be quiet.

I can come over later on today and have a look at it, if you want.” He offered.

“That would be great. I won’t be in until about 6, so any time after that is good for me.” I told him.

Okay then, I’ll be over between 6 and 8.” He said.

“That’s great. Thanks.” I said.

No problem. Bye.” He said.

“Bye.” I hung up. “Well that was easier than I thought.” I said, turning to Chris.

“What was?” He asked.

“Getting Tony over.” I said.

“Tony?...” He said as more of a question, squinting his eyes slightly and looking confused.

“The landlord?”

“Oh, yeah, Tony. Jesus, is he still the landlord here? I would have though he would have left by now.” He commented.

“Why?” I asked.

“Well he was the landlord when Peej and I lived here.” He told me.

“Wow, he’s been here ages.” I said.

“So why is he coming over then?” He asked.

“Well for one, he’s going to check out about the hot water.” I said.

“What’s wrong with it?” He asked.

“I don’t have any sometimes.” I told him.

“That might be our fault…” He said, trailing off.

“What do you mean ‘our fault’?” I asked.

“Well we get bored sometimes.” He said.

“And?” I said, waiting for him to continue.

“Well, it’s fun to mess with you sometimes. And we know that when you run the hot tap anywhere in the house, it takes the hot water out of your shower.” He said, avoiding eye contact with me. I stared at him.

“You know, sometimes, you lot are really annoying to live with.” I said.

“Hey!” He said. I rolled my eyes. “Anyway, what’s the other reason for Tony coming over?” He asked.

“I’m gonna ask him about how Phil died.” I told him.

“What, you’re gonna flat out ask him what happened?” He questioned.