Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Dan POV

After Tony had left, I went to my room to see if I could properly work this out. Pj and Chris came in to see what I was doing.

“I’m trying to work out exactly what happened.” I told them. I looked up, and then around the room. “Where’s Phil?” I asked.

“He’s having a go on the PS3.” Pj told me. I nodded.

“So what have you got so far?” Chris asked.

“Nothing really. Everything’s mixed up.” I said.

“Well why don’t you recall what you know.” Pj suggested.

“Alright.” I said. “So, the woman next door said she saw Tony leave the house in the morning. It can’t have been too early, but early enough that people wouldn’t be out.” I said.

“So around 9-ish?” Pj offered.

“Maybe. Did either of you two hear anything that day?” I asked.

“I just remember hearing a loud noise at some point, but I wasn’t paying attention to the time.” Chris said.

“It must have been sometime before 12. I was in the garden for ages that day. I think I was out there before Phil was even up that day. What were you doing?” Pj asked Chris.

“I was snooping around the place.” We both gave him a look. “What? I was curious. He still had boxes that weren’t unpacked, I wanted to see what was in them.” He said. I shook my head at him.

“So you heard a loud noise, but thought nothing of it?” I asked Chris.

“Phil was always dropping things, I just assumed he’d dropped something downstairs somewhere. It must have been quite early. Phil was always up quite early, so I just thought that he was getting ready to go somewhere and he dropped his hair-dryer of something. I couldn’t really hear anyone speaking, but I’m sure I heard the front door, which is why I didn’t go to check it out. Also, I don’t exactly use the stairs so I wouldn’t have seen anything. I was in the garden with Pj at one point, but then I went upstairs.” Chris said.

“Okay, so between sometime 8 and 11, shall we say, Tony must have been in the house. You heard a loud bang, and then a little while later you heard the front door. So that could have been Tony leaving. Which means he either saw Phil on the floor and did absolutely nothing about it, or he was there when it happened, probably involved, and left before he thought anyone would see him.” I said.

“My bet is on the second option.” Pj said.

“Same.” Chris said.

“Yeah, I think it was Tony that did it.” I concluded.

“But why?” Pj asked. “What reason would he have?”

“I don’t know, but I think I need to ask Phil some things.” I said.

“I’ll go get him.” Chris said, then disappeared. He reappeared a few moments later with Phil.

“We’ll leave you two to it.” Pj said.

“Race you to the PS3!” Chris said, already disappearing out the room, Pj in tow. I laughed, shaking my head at them.

“So what did you need?” Phil asked, sitting on the floor opposite me.

“To ask you questions about the day you died.” I said. He nodded. “Can you remember anything from that day?” I asked.

“No. I just remember waking up at the bottom of the stairs, dead.” He told me.