2.

Thirty minutes.

Thirty minutes was all it took for me to get utterly and hopelessly lost. You would have thought I remembered an address, street name, hell, even the fucking direction I had came! But no.

As always, I messed up.

Deciding to kill some time, I walked into a coffee shop that looked decent. I was suprised it was still open due to the fact that it was now ten thirty at night. However, there was one other person there, but he simply stared out the window, and I decided it would be best if I kept to myself.

"Not many people wandering about this late on a Tuesday night. Are you lost?" The woman behind the counter asked. She looked not that much older than me, about nineteen or twenty, her accent reminding me just how far from home I really am.

"Yeah, I'm lost," I responded. "Just came out to explore the town and now I can't seem to find my way back."

"Typical for an American," A voice muttered from behind me, giving away the fact that he had been listening. Slightly offended, I shot him a dirty look, quickly scanning him over. His hazel eyes returned the same coldness as mine, his curly hair slightly exposed from under the hoodie he wore. "I mean, of course you'd get lost in a town you know nothing about at night. Anyone with common sense would know that."

His comment hit hard, my suspicion being confirmed. I was going to be seen differently because of where I was from - At least by this clueless asshole.

"I'm sorry, I don't remember talking to you. Get lost." I snapped. The boy rolled his eyes before standing up and storming out. Sighing, I turned back to face the woman.

"Don't worry about Ashton. He doesn't mean any harm." She told me.

"Ashton?"

"Yes. I see him in here often during my night shifts. Interesting boy, really. I know it seemed harsh, but he has his reasons. Just don't let him get to you, okay?" I nodded, fiddling with the sleeves on my sweater.

"Which part of America are you from?" She curiously asked.

"California," I answered. Then figuring this probably wouldn't be my last time here at night, I added: "I'm Natalie, by the way."

"Oh, lovely name. I'm Samantha, but Sammy works just as well." I gave a small smile in reply, but stood up afterwards.

"May as well try to find my way back home." I said.

"Alright. Good luck, Natalie. Have a good night."

"You too."

I pushed the door open and frowned when I noticed the same boy as before kicking rocks on the pavement across the street. Did he seriously not have anything better to do at eleven at night than kick rocks?

'He has his reasons.' Sammy's words ran through my head, reminding me that I didn't know Ashton, just like he didn't know me.

Unfortunately, that only made me even more curious about him.

*****

"A little late to be out wandering about in a town you dont know, dont you think so, Natalie?" I sighed as I closed the front door. I was suprised my mother had woken up while I was gone.

"I guess so. I didn't go very far, though."

"Did you have a hard time finding your way back?" She asked me, more curious than upset. I think she was starting to realize that I need to take a breather every now and again. Keeping me cooped up wasn't going to help my situation.

"Not really," I lied. "The place seems okay. There are some really bitter people, though."

The entire walk home, I couldn't seem to stop thinking about the boy from the coffee shop. I wasn't sure what about Ashton was drawing me in. He had been a jerk! Why did I seem to care so much?

Maybe it was because somewhere in those eyes, for a split second, I saw the same hurt that I had seen in my own reflection for months. He hid it well, but I knew it was there somwhere, because I had seen it in myself for so long. I just wanted to know why.

"The fact that it's nearly midnight on a Tuesday probably doesn't help the situation, dear. Maybe it will be better tomorrow."

Maybe he will be better tomorrow.

Quickly, I pushed the thought out of my mind. There was no promise that I would see Ashton tomorrow. Hell, after tonight, I don't think I'd want to see him again.

"You look like you're going to collapse," My mom joked, snapping me out of my thoughts. "Maybe you should get some shut eye. We'll both go out tomorrow morning. Find the school and the therapist office and such. How's that sound?" I wanted to argue for what seemed like the millionth time that I did not need a therapist, but I knew it would be a waste of my time and energy. Instead, I merely nodded, her words causing me to realize just how tired I was.

After changing into my pajamas and brushing my teeth, I crawled under the covers, glancing around the unfamiliar setting. The moon shone through the curtains here, but back home, the sun was already up, and my father was probably preparing for work.

I couldn't help but think of how different things were going to be now. New house, new people, new start, new life.

I guess it was up to me to make the best of it.

*****

A/N: 'Bout time I updated TTS.

Okay, first, I want to thank everyone who added this to their reading list in the past few weeks, and leaving comments. Reading your feedback and suggestions and guesses on what's going to happen next really makes me happy. Please comment on this chapter too.

I know this update was short, but heyyyy! We've all met Ashton! Opinions? Comments?

If you enjoyed this chapter, please vote! It may seem like a small gesture, but it helps!

I'll try to update soon! x