8.

I made it home just in time, my mother woke up ten minutes after I snuck back into my bedroom - Luckily, without drawing attention to myself.

I didn't tell her I had been out exploring the town, I didn't tell her that I had come close to relapsing again, I didn't even tell her I didn't sleep - Or show any sign of it, even though in reality I wanted to do nothing more than flop on the bed and sleep for days.

I simply dressed in black jeans and a white tee that I had ordered offline about a week before we left, the phrase 'Hugs, not drugs' printed across the front. Not that I was planning on anyone seeing the shirt, as I wore an oversized sweatshirt over it, pulling the sleeves down over my hands.

"Are you ready? Do you want something to eat before we leave?" My mom asked, rushing around the kitchen for her set of keys. I had told her time and time again I would be fine with walking to and from school, but she insisted she drive me - At least until the second semester, when I knew my way around better.

"No, I'm fine." I said, grabbing my backpack by the front door and throwing it over my shoulder. I blinked several times, trying to keep myself from collapsing right then and there, tiredness making me feel like I had been drugged. I found it ironic that I felt somewhat high considering the shirt I currently wore under my sweater.

The car ride was almost silent, besides my mother going down the checklist to make sure I had everything, explaining where to wait after school and exactly what time she would be there.

"Alright. Have fun in your classes, make friends. I'll see you after school right here, okay?"

"Yeah, I'll be fine, Mom." I sighed, closing the door and walking towards the main entrance, turning back to see her pulling out of the school parking lot and zooming down the road. In all honesty, I wasn't planning on having fun, and I wasn't planning on making friends. I just wanted out of here and back home as soon as possible.

Apparently, English was my first class of the day, and it wasn't easy to find, but it's not like I was going to stop and ask anyone where it was. That would require drawing attention to myself, and that was one thing I wasn't going to allow...Not willingly, anyways.

"Hey, do you need some help finding your first class?" A voice spoke from behind me. Only then did I realize that I was one of the only ones wandering the halls, and I still had no idea where I was supposed to go.

"No." I muttered, not bothering to turn around and acknowledge him face-to-face.

"Are you sure? You look kind of lost, and I don't think I've seen you around before."

"Nope, I'm fine," I said. "I have to find it at some point." I muttered quietly afterwards.

"Hey, just...No need to be stubborn," I heard footsteps come up behind me, and I only walked faster, glancing at room numbers. A hand gently grabbed my arm, and only then did I allow myself to turn and face him. Blue eyes scanned over me. He had blonde hair, and made me seem like some sort of dwarf if someone was to compare our hight, and when he bit his bottom lip nervously, I noticed the lip ring he had. "Nope, I think you're lost."

I yanked my arm away, and continued to walk.

"Hey, wait, let me see that!" He said, walking right beside me, probably referring to my class schedule.

"No, go away." I replied, getting ticked off. What part of no did this boy not understand? I mean, it was clear he was blonde, but really?

"Fine, suit yourself. But you're already late enough as it is." He said, finally slowing, before turning and walking in the other direction.

I rolled my eyes. This would be a long day.

*****

"Nice of you to join us. You're Natalie, I assume?" Great, this exactly what I hadn't wanted. After about fifeen more minutes of wandering, I realized that I had been going the wrong way the entire time, and probably should have followed blondie. I kept my head down, hoodie up as I nodded, not willing to make eye contact with any of us just yet. A light chuckle came from the teacher.

"You may take the seat in the back, if you'd like." He instructed, and I nodded before heading that way. I quickly sat down, crossing my arms across my chest as I finally willed myself to look up at him. "You've come at a rough time, but we can get you all sorted out. We're currently in the middle of reading 'Romeo & Juliet'. Are you familiar with the story?"

"Somewhat." I answered, and he nodded. I had read certain scenes in my Freshman English class, but never really understood what happened between the party and the death of Romeo and Juliet.

"Marvelous. I'm sure Lucas would be willing to get you filled in on where we are and such. Welcome to Hornsby, by the way, Natalie." I nodded, silently thanking him, before looking down at my lap once again.

"Good to see you finally found your way." A light laugh came from beside me, and I closed my eyes in disappointment.

"I made it without your help, didn't I, blondie?" I asked.

"American, I see." He pointed out in return.

"What's it matter to you?" I snapped, eyes narrowing. He chuckled, looking down at his lap.

"You aren't really the friendly type, are you?" I rolled my eyes, looking the other way. "The party, by the way." I looked back at him, confused.

"I'm not really that into social events." I responded quietly, tugging anxiously at my sleeves.

"No, not you. The story. Romeo and Juliet are about to meet at the Capulet party." I mentally face palmed. I should have known he was referring to the story. He laughed, and I felt a blush appear on my cheeks, but I simply cleared my throat to hide it.

"So you're Lucas, I assume?"

"I prefer Luke, and I've told him that at least twenty times. I just gave up eventually. You're Natalie, correct?" I nodded, and he smiled before turning back to face the front of the class. "Well, nice to see you again, Natalie."

*****

A/N: This was so sucky, oh my gosh. Well, we've been introduced to another character. Figured I might as well have at least one of the others in the story as well.

Also, I have absolutely no clue how school systems work in Australia, so this could end up being a disaster. If anyone who reads this in Australia, I could really use your advice. Until then, I'll just do my best. Haha.

Please vote, it may seem like a small gesture, but it really does make a difference. And feel free to leave comments on anything I should edit, change, improve in the future, etc. I love hearing what you guys have to say!

I've been on a roll with updating lately, I hope I can update again over the weekend.

Callie xx