29 ⇝ yes and no

» Patience is not about waiting but the ability to keep a good attitude while waiting. «

In which time slows down.

Dedicated to: -yEeTaNnS ur comments are funny hahaha. X

A/N ~ A big thank you to all who voted for me in @ohzieg s jenzie awards. If you want you can vote for me; the story is up on her profile.

POV: Lauren Orlando
DATE: 30th January 2026

•••

Greg and I respected that Melissa wanted to talk to Johnny, and by the sounds of it, they'll be a while. I left the room with trudging steps and a heaving heart.

When we're outside, I close my eyes briefly, dropping down into a seat. Greg shakes his head at me, sighing. "Hey, come on kiddo. Let's get something to eat."

"I don't think I can eat." I mumble.

"You can always manage something." He smiles weakly, "and you won't be doing yourself any good by starving yourself. Come on."

"Okay, okay." I tell him, rising up. The whole act brought tears to my eyes, and I remember things that I don't want to remember; my parents. How it felt to have someone that would take care of you, and put your needs above their own.

Hospitals are generally not a good place for me. The stark white halls and even brighter lights bring back horrible memories.

My Grandpa had a heart attack in a building very similar, and my Grandmother had cancer; fighting her battle in a hospital a few towns over. After being in a fatal car crash, my parents passed away here. Mackenzie got diagnosed here. Johnny lost a kidney here. It's enough to make anyone feel sick and blindly dizzy at all their losses.

"Hold up." I tell Greg, leaning against a wall with my hand, blonde hair swinging into my eyes. "I don't feel good."

"I'm not surprised." He mutters, platonically holding my shoulder to steady me. "Are you alright? Just nauseous?"

I nod, waiting for the spell to pass with a very fast heart rate. My stomach rolls, and I gag a few times but supress the urge to vomit. I don't think I could've thrown anything up anyway– my stomachs empty.

I tell this to Greg, and he nods. "Come on, slowly now. You need food and water in your system or you'll collapse."

He towers over me, just like Carson does. I shiver at the thought. I miss Carson more than anything right now.

At the hospital cafeteria, nothing looks appetising. When I say nothing, I literally mean nothing.

Crowds of people are queuing, and we join the line without comment. Upon receiving a plate, I pile things on it at random– fish, a salad, some pasta, and a bread roll. It doesn't cost much, and definitely isn't from a five star restaurant, but it's all I need.

Because I'm a model, I'm supposed to eat healthy; Carson was the only person in my life who made me change that and decide for myself what I should eat. He insisted that being skinny isn't what a model should strive to be– they should strive to be original, and different from the rest. In a week, he completely flipped my world upside down and made me question everything I've ever been told about the industry. I love that about him.

"Lauren?" Greg asks me, and I sit up a little straighter.

"Yeah?"

"If Mackenzie... survives this, Melissa is asking Johnny to propose. With a family heirloom ring. That would make you my daughter in law– ish."

"Wow." I breathe. "That's– wow, that's really something."

He nods back. "Crazy, how in love they are. It's unlike anything I've ever seen."

"I agree. They care so much about each other, and they just go together in my mind. Imagining life without Kenzie... I couldn't do it." I tell him, really letting him know how upset I am. It's the nicest thing in the world to vent to an adult; all they can do is reassure you. I've needed that parental assurance throughout these last few weeks of my life.

"They'll be okay." He says. "We'll all be."

I hope. I really do.

•••

Johnny and Melissa are still talking when we reach the hospital room once again, so I tuck myself up in a corner, thinking. The chair I'm sitting on does nothing to reassure my nerves it's plastic and unmoveable. Why can't they just make comfortable hospital chairs? Many people would appreciate it.

When my phone vibrates, I pull it out and upon reading the contact name I smile.

"Hey, Carson." I greet quietly after accepting the call.

"Hey Laur. How's my girl going? Are you okay?" He questions with ease.

"I could be doing better." I sigh before explaining the situation. "Mackenzie's artery has flipped so the kidney is turning over in her body. She's in surgery again, but for six hours this time. I'm so scared."

"Oh Laur." He breathes. "That's not good. I'm so sorry."

I don't reply.

"Have you eaten? Are you feeling good?"

"Yes, and no." I tell him, sniffing. "God, I hate crying."

"So do I." He tells me, which makes me laugh quietly.

"What if Mackenzie– if she–" I sob before being interrupted.

"Lauren, love, you can't think like this. Mackenzie is strong. She'll make it through."

I breathe out. "Okay, optimism. Can we talk about something else?"

"Of course. How about the yodelling boy in Walmart?" He asks.

A smile breaks out over my face. "Please don't sing–"

Too late.

Once Carson starts singing, there's no stopping him. Embarrassed but happy, I cover my phones speaker, hushing him while giggling.

"I'll stop on one condition." He yell-laughs.

"What's the condition?" I ask with a smile.

"Consider moving to New York. To live with me."

•••

[1024 words]

I really enjoy writing in Lauren's POV. I wish she had a ship so I could read about her more often :) Can we talk about how innocent and pure she is tho?! Also, how is her instagram so perfect, wow! In short, I love Lauren haha. I hope you enjoyed this chapter in her POV <3