30 ⇝ that's wonderful

» The truth is like having surgery. It cuts but it cures. «

In which confessions are made.

Dedicated to: mackanniee . I think you'll like this one :)

A/N ~ Please listen to the song before reading the chapter. It will get you in the mood and make the chapter more enjoyable to read <3

POV: Mackenzie Ziegler
DATE: 30th January 2026

•••

My eyes flutter open. I shut them abruptly. It's too bright. Far too bright.

With a sigh, I roll slightly to the left and find that something is restricting me. I open my eyes. This time, although slowly, they adjust to the light.

The image in front of me restores my memory pretty quickly. I'm in the hospital. I've had an operation.

"Mackenzie." Says a strangled and torn voice.

I roll onto my back. Tears fill my eyes at the simple movement. "John."

I would recognise his voice anywhere.

When I softly turn around I survey the room. To my right is a bed not unlike my own, but instead of me being in it, Johnny is. We're pushed together, as close as we can go.

"You're awake." He breathes, looking at me like I'm some sort of miracle.

"I'm not sure I want to be." I sigh. "It's painful."

His hand reaches out to touch my cheek. "I've been in pain too, but not anymore. You're awake Mackenzie, you're alive."

I recall hearing Johnny's broken screams and yells as I got drawn away from him. They echo in my mind, and I now know that those will be the voices that are repetitive in my nightmares.

"What happened?" I ask, throat thick. "Why were we apart?"

"You got out of theatre." He starts. "And you were fine. Your body accepted the kidney... but fifteen minutes later, one of your artery's flipped and the kidney started to move too. You've been away from me for about seven hours."

"I remember now." I whisper, eyes closing. He lets the silence drag out for awhile before speaking to me in a soft voice.

"Mackenzie, Kenz, I need to tell you something."

My eyes flick open again to find his green eyes searching out mine. Distantly, I'm aware of a machine beeping in the background. The ghost of a smile can be seen on his face. I smile too, suddenly appreciating how beautiful he is.

"I love you."

"I love you too. But more." I tell him, the drugs running through my veins making me sleepy.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you before surgery. I was scared. I thought that if I kicked the bucket, it would haunt you that I loved you. I was selfish too. I never thought about you–"