27 ⇝ we'll get through this together

» Some days it's all about your dreams, hopes and visions for the future. But there are some days where life is just about putting one foot in front of the other. And that's okay. «

In which the big day dawns.

Dedicated to: storysbysor because your a great friend ;) <3 also it won't let me tag ur new user lol

POV: Mackenzie Ziegler
DATE: 30th January 2026

•••

"Do you want me to do it?" Lauren gently asks from behind me. She's referring to the fact that I can't even straighten my own hair; my hands are trembling, and my bottom lip wobbles precariously.

I nod at her, eyes blurring through tears. In the mirror, she smiles weakly back at me.

"I know it's scary Kenz, I know, but be strong okay? Be strong for John, and for me, and your parents." Lauren encourages, threading her hands through the tangles.

"I'm trying." My voice cracks. "I tried so hard to be perfect for everyone, and it just didn't work."

"Everyone tries to be perfect at some point." Lauren reassures me quietly after a long period of silence in which she runs the straighteners through my hair.

"I love you, Laur. I'm so grateful for everything you've done for me, have done for us. You've been my best friend since I was twelve... I love you just as much as my own family. Thank you for being the bestest friend I could ever have." I tell her honestly, from the heart.

It's the day of surgery. Nothing is guaranteed. I want to make sure that if I happened to pass, everyone I care about knows that I love them.

"Hey." She smiles softly, proud. "Don't talk like you're on your deathbed! It's just surgery."

"Just surgery." I repeat, blowing out a breath. "Just surgery."

Laurens quick fingers still in my hair, and she turns towards the man in the doorway. She kisses the top of my head lightly before departing.

"You look nice." He compliments quietly before holding out a hand for me to take. "Want to come get breakfast?"

"Yes please." I murmur, looking anywhere but his eyes and accepting his hand.

In the kitchen, a simple meal is arranged. Juice for Johnny, and smoothie for me– berry and banana, which is just the way I like it. Two twin bowls of cornflakes and two pieces of honey and jam toast. I'm the one that likes honey. He hates it.

"Romantic." I tell him seriously. The elicits a laugh from him, one that makes my chest radiate with warmth. He has a heart of gold; like the really pure stuff, you know? Not the knockoff gold you can get at Kmart, but the real thing...

Before we eat, for one of the first times ever, Johnny says a quick grace. Neither my family or his is christian, but he learnt one at sixteen out of respect for the culture. The last time I heard him say grace was a few weeks ago when his distant friend Sophia passed. We eat in silence.

Twenty minutes later, I'm slipping on a yellow dress when Johnny comes back into my room. The material slides over my skin, raising goosebumps, and I pull it over my shoulders with care.