prologue

I peer out the window as I place my favorite band, the 1975's, album in a box. Packing is always tedious but I don't mind, I am more than happy to leave.

It's only about 4 o'clock in the afternoon so it's still pretty damn warm outside, which is nice - minus the humidity. I am definitely not a fan of the weather here. I'd rather not feel sticky every time I walk outside, but I guess I'm the only person here bothered by it. And if you've never experienced humidity - the air is thick, almost like slow moving syrup. It's not pleasant in my opinion, yet some people find it refreshing and I'm not really sure how.

I notice my parents talking to their "friends," who I've grown to dislike in many ways. I don't understand why they chose to befriend stuck-up, snobby assholes. Actually, how could they not, that's how most people here are anyways - another reason why I want to get out of here; I want to meet real people.

I'm not going to lie: I'm probably one of the quietest girls you could ever meet in your life. You could enter a room in which I am in, and trust me; I won't try to make small talk with you. But can you really blame me?

I've always been so hesitant to get know people. I don't know why but I just find it hard to trust anyone, really. Considering I don't talk much, I hear everything around me. Most people are lying assholes yet the ones who are victimized are too oblivious to notice. So they are pretty fucking stupid if you ask me.

Yet I can't help but envy all of them.

They got to do whatever they wanted in high school: Party, drink, smoke, sneak into clubs, run from the cops and just be reckless. While I was always sat at home studying or reading, how fucking boring. I mean I know I'm not pleasant to be around but that doesn't mean I can't have fun, right?

My parents always say, "Having fun is overrated. Why don't you do something worthwhile? Take some practice SAT tests or just study. It doesn't hurt, it only helps." I don't understand why I have to continue studying, I already got into LMU, the college of my dreams, along with a full scholarship - not that I need it, my parents already make a ton of money so they could afford sending me anywhere in the world but I'm saving them money, shouldn't they at least care about that? Nope, they don't care, they aren't proud; they only really care about their reputation. In order to maintain that reputation, I have to be a smart, well-mannered young lady. If not, their reputation would be ruined all because of me. Well, that's what they constantly tell me. What a load of bullshit.

Tomorrow I'll finally be able to leave Miami and my parents behind to just start a new chapter in my life.

I can't wait to get out of this place; maybe things will be different when I leave. Maybe I'll do something different for once. Maybe things will change. Maybe, just maybe.