Chapter Eleven

I awoke to a rocking motion. My body was curled up and wrapping in something warm. I felt myself rocking back and forth. Back and forth. For some reason, I felt safe, like when I fell asleep was locked back up in my van alone. But I wasn't alone now.

I opened my eyes and saw a black t shirt. Then it all came back to me. The desert, the mission, Ward picking me up, how I feel peacefully asleep while he carried me.

"Oh my god, Ward!" I wriggled in his arms, forcing him to drop me. I landed hard on the ground.

"She's alive," Ward chuckled.

"Oww," I moaned from the ground. He leaned down and picked me back up, placing me on my feet. I wobbled around for a few moments, my legs having fallen asleep. Ward held out his arm for support. I thankfully grasped his forearm with my right hand, wrapping my other around his bicep. I finally stopped moving and stood, hanging into Ward. I realized how awkward I was and pulled away, giggling embarrassedly.

"Sorry about that. I didn't expect for you to do that." I was blushing deeply, I'm sure.

"It was nothing. We had to keep moving to continue the mission and I chose a tactic that would help us keep on schedule." He kept a straight face.

"Um, ok. Thanks anyway." I smiled brightly, hoping to bring that charming smile back to his face.

"Don't mention it." The corner of his lips turned slightly up. He then turned back towards the mountain. "We'll continue until nightfall. Then, we'll rest." He started to walk again. I couldn't stop smiling as I followed closely behind him once more.