19

As the mist grew thicker so did our anxiety and tension. My eyes darted around the white cloud searching for any sign of, well, anything.

"Kakashi-sensei!" Sakura called out.

"Don't worry, he'll target me first." Our sensei replied sounding totally at ease.

"But who is he?" Sakura asked. I frowned; all this talking is giving away our position. Sure he created the mist to hide himself but we could use that to our advantage. Of course, we can't now that Sakura decided to end her silent streak.

"His name is Zabuza Momochi. He's an ex-ninja from the Village Hidden in the Mist and a master assassinator using primarily the silent killing technique. With his technique you'll pass from this life to the next without even realizing it." My mouth grew dry as I bit my lip. Now we were really in for it...

"The sharingan can't fully neutralize it so make sure to keep your guard up. If we fail, we only lose our lives." Kakashi-sensei ended light-heartedly.

"W-what?" Sakura spluttered.

"How can you say that, sensei?" Naruto shouted.

"Eight points." Zabuza spoke from somewhere. My shoulders tensed uncomfortably as I tried desperately to pinpoint his location. "Larynx, spine, liver, lungs, subclavian artery, jugular, and kidneys... now, which should be my kill point?"

The mist thickened, a feat I didn't think was possible at this point. I took a cautious step back and tightened our ranks. I could feel the unease around me, which I expected, but the unease seeping from the boy next to me was stifling. Sasuke was trembling. I watched him from the corner of my eye and saw him slowly turn the kunai in his hand towards himself.

I side stepped slightly and put my hand on his forearm comfortingly. Or at least, I hoped my gesture was comforting. Sasuke froze in his shaking to look at me. I gave him a small nod hoping to ease his nerves.

"Sasuke," Kakashi-sensei called out, "don't worry. I'll protect you all with my life." Sasuke took a silent breath and calmed himself. No longer needed I began to withdraw my hand and head back to my original position a side step away from him. I froze feeling something warm on top of my hand, keeping it pressed against Sasuke's arm.

Sasuke had put his hand on top of mine. I looked up to him with an eyebrow raised. We stood there frozen for a few seconds before Sasuke released me and I moved back to my position. Sasuke hadn't glanced at me once.

In an instant Zabuza was before us. I hadn't been paying attention to the battle so I was caught off guard and mentally scolded myself for being such an airhead. My mouth popped open as I shakily held my kunai knife in front of me. Sakura let out a little squeak of surprise. Suddenly Kakashi-sensei was behind Zabuza, holding his own knife to Zabuza's neck.

"It's over." Kakashi-sensei declared confidently. Our little group sighed in relief only to halt when Zabuza began to chuckle.

"Is it?" he questioned playfully as his body splashed to the ground.