47

Sasuke performed a quick fireball jutsu and before long we were all seated munching on roasted fish. Was this the first time we had eaten since we got here? I wasn't sure to be honest. With so much happening eating was put on the backburner.

"So how much time do we have left in this exam?" I asked once my fish was gone.

"We started the exam 4 afternoons ago, so we should only have about a single day left." Sakura answered, smart as always. "Many teams have already passed at this point..."

"This is bad." Sasuke added.

"So, if this is the 4th day of a 5 day exam then 80% of the exam is over already. There were only 26 teams entered so only 13 of those teams can pass. Plus, that Orochimaru guy burned our heaven scroll. One scroll is useless without the other; so one less team can pass. Plus if any of the other scrolls were damaged that makes them unusable too." Sakura explained.

We sat in silence for a moment, each of us considering the very large possibility of failing. Well... all of us except Naruto who was still loudly munching away on his fish.

"I'm going to refill my water bottle." Sasuke grumbled and stalked off.

"Well, no matter our odds our best chance at passing is to win the fight against the next enemy we encounter. I'm going to see if I can find anyone nearby." I told the others.

I took a deep breath and shut off my immediate surroundings, delving myself deep into my senses. I could feel the chakra of a small bunny about 20 meters away and a squirrel about 22 meters away. I broadened my senses as far as I was able and could only make out a handful of teams. The closest to us being quite some distance away. I frowned to myself.

With all the enemies so far away, how are we supposed to catch up enough to ambush them? On top of that, even if we ambush someone and are successful there's a 50% chance that they have the same scroll as us.

"Hey!" someone called causing me to snap back into reality. I felt an unfamiliar chakra signal at our basecamp.

How had I not sensed him when he's standing so close to us?

Sasuke came running back to our group.

"You guys tried to open your scroll." The man spoke, "It's a good thing I came when I did. Opening the scroll results in disqualification."

"What were you guys thinking? Miyu, why didn't you try to stop them?" Sasuke asked. I frowned but didn't respond.

I didn't trust our newcomer. I didn't understand how they could evade my tracking abilities. I've been tracking for years while hunting with my pack, so it made no sense that an average Gennin would be able to hide their chakra signature. Maybe a Jonnin or higher rank ninja would be able to hide from me... but definitely no one taking this exam.

"In the previous exams the scrolls held a hypnotism jutsu. Those that opened the scroll were knocked out until the end of the exam." He explained.

"Oh, thank you Kabuto! We would've been knocked out if it weren't for you!" Sakura gushed.

"Yeah, thanks, man! We owe you!" Naruto added with a gulp.

So it was Kabuto that had joined us...

"So... what are you doing all alone out here?" Sasuke asked Kabuto, his tone filled with suspicion.

"It's not like I'm after your scroll, if that's what you're suggesting." Kabuto answered casually.

"Yeah, if you were you could've just taken it from Naruto earlier. So you're after a Heaven scroll too?" Sasuke pressed.

"Oh, no. I already have both. My team and I got separated, I'm on my way to the tower to meet them."

"Fight me." Sasuke demanded.

"Sasuke, what are you saying?" Sakura demanded.

"What the hell, Sasuke?" Naruto yelled.

"...Fight?" Kabuto asked, stunned.

"That's a stupid way to get the scroll." I murmured. If I could've seen I would've caught the glare Sasuke shot my way.

"... You're serious." Kabuto stated more than asked.

"Sorry, we don't have any time left. So fight me." Sasuke demanded again.

"Sasuke! Kabuto just helped us!" Naruto exclaimed, outraged.

"I don't know about this, Sasuke..." Sakura muttered.

"It's not like we have a lot of options." I added. "It's not like ninja are bound by honor, the exact opposite actually. We make our living off of hiding in the shadows and attacking when our enemy least expects it. That being said, ninja aren't exactly looking for a fair fight. Sasuke should've just attacked Kabuto outright instead of demanding some sort of match. It's not like you're challenging him to a duel."

"Miyu is right. We have to do this. It's the only way." Sasuke's tone left no room for argument.

"You're lying." Kabuto remarked calmly. "You're not as cold-hearted as you would like to appear." A small silence overtook us before Kabuto spoke again.

"I can't say the same for your teammate though. She's right. You should've just attacked me outright. That's what a ninja would've done... but I don't hate you for that. So in return, I'll tell you the path you should take. But we have to get moving, the smoke from the fire and the smell of cooked fish will alert wild beasts of our location."

"Well, you heard the man," I sighed coming to a slow stand, my connection with my senses wavering as I focused more on moving and less on my surroundings, "let's get going." 

Sorry if the chapter is a little shorter today, it just came to a natural end and instead of adding more stuff and having a weird cutoff I just ended it here for today. 

As always, thank you so much for your continued support! Happy reading!