20

My eyes darted around from treetops to the forest floor as I crouched low behind a bush. Last thing I needed was to alert my prey. I had a sinking suspicion that whomever was out here was keeping tabs on us for whatever reason, so it was a good guess that they could already tell I was missing from my group.

My prey was good at hiding; I'll give them that. It took almost all of my concentration to block out the surrounding noise and pinpoint the scent. I crept along the bottoms of the trees and slowly made my way towards the imposter as silent as possible.

Thanks to years of hunting, I was a little more in control of my chakra than most kids my age. Many animals had a certain intuition for chakra sensing, especially prey. As a predator I knew exactly how to hide my chakra sense to minimal existence, then to blend that minimal signature with the surrounding nature chakra to make myself almost non-existent; at least, to anyone on high alert for an attack.

It was difficult to find, but with patience and silence I was able to locate my prey. They had long dark brown hair cascading down their back over, strangely masculine, robes. They also held a mask by their hip with odd markings on it. They watched the fight totally at ease as if simply observing a match they already knew the outcome to.

I was instantly suspicious.

I contemplated my options of attack as I watched the stranger. I considered what each of my teammates might do in my situation. Naruto would charge headfirst with a yell, instantly alerting the enemy. Sasuke would silently attack him. Sakura would probably stay hidden and continue to watch him. Kakashi-sensei would probably try to talk to him and get some information.

I decided to try and mimic my teacher.

"Is there a reason you've been watching us?" I asked the stranger causing him to jump and turn to me, instantly on the defensive. He was actually... incredibly pretty for a boy. It was kind of strange to see honestly. In comparison to him I looked about as lady-like as a rock.

"Hello, I didn't notice you coming. I did note your absence from the battle and wondered where you had gone off. It seems you've found me. I'm quite surprised." He spoke in a gentle tone, which at this point only served to make me more aggravated as my own tone sounded gravely in comparison.

"Is there a reason you've been watching us?" I repeated, unable to halt myself from baring my teeth in an animalistic fashion at the boy to express my annoyance. He eyed my teeth with caution that served to calm me slightly. I was pleased he felt the need to be cautious around me; he should.

"You see this mask?" he asked gesturing to the mask he held, "I'm a tracker nin from the Village Hidden in the Rain. Zabuza is my target." I narrowed my eyes at him. I've never heard of a tracker nin before, but I suppose the notion made sense. After all, some ninja held village secrets and had to be taken out.

"It seems if I wait here long enough, your team will take care of my target for me." I took a step back from the boy, physically taken aback by the sheer rudeness of his intentions.

"You plan to take someone else's prey? After they had worked hard to bring it down?" I knew the answer to these questions, but couldn't help them come tumbling out. The mere thought of such a dishonorable act sent angry trembles down my spine.