69

"Ok, we have one more stop to make before we can get going." Shikamaru directed the boys following him. Neji, having noticed the direction they were headed, turned towards Shikamaru with a questioning gaze.

"Do you think she'll come?" he asked the newly appointed Chunnin.

"Who will come? Who are we getting?" Choji asked in between potato chips. The boys ignored him.

"Honestly? I'm not sure... it all depends on if they talked last night." Shikamaru told Neji.

"Huh? What the heck are you guys talking about?" Naruto asked as he glanced around the unusual surroundings. Akamaru whined and Kiba nodded his head to the pup.

"We're getting Miyu, right?" Kiba guessed. Shikamaru nodded. "Yeah, I thought so... I recognize these woods." Just as Kiba commented they came upon the gates of the Uchiha compound. These streets were rarely traveled since the massacre and thus most of the Konoha ninja, especially the Gennin, were unfamiliar with this part of the village.

"Ohh, yeah that's a good idea! I betcha Miyu will know exactly how to bring Sasuke back! She always knows what he's thinking. I swear those two have some sort of crazy other-level type connection. It's weird!" Naruto chirped happily unaware of Kiba's sulking.

"So if Miyu and Sasuke are so 'connected' then why do you think she won't come, Shikamaru?" Choji asked as the group strode deeper and deeper into the silence of the Uchiha compound.

"It's simple... you guys saw how Sakura was this morning, right?" scattered nods and various unsure 'uhhuh's chorused, "Sakura was pretty messed up... like emotionally. Just think how Miyu would react in that kind of situation." Shikamaru paused, giving the group some time to think about it. Everyone stopped walking for a few moments as they pondered the question.

"Well... I can't say I know Miyu well enough to know how she would react to such a situation..." Neji muttered.

"Uh, yeah, me too." Choji nodded, clearly clueless.

"Well? Naruto, Kiba, you guys know Miyu the best. What do you think? How would she react to meeting Sasuke before he left?" Shikamaru pressed. The two quietly muttered half answers to the group. "Exactly." Shikamaru nodded knowingly.

"Huh, what? Wait... we didn't even say anything!" Naruto protested revealing his poorly covered lack of knowledge.

"Have you guys ever noticed something... off about Miyu?" Shikamaru asked. The group turned to him curiously, confusion palpable.

"You mean like her weird Sharingan stuff?" Kiba asked.

"No, I don't mean ninja stuff. I mean personally. Miyu has never really connected with any of us on an emotional level." Shikamaru hinted.

"What? No, Miyu and I are super close. We connect all the time." Kiba protested. Akamaru whined again and Kiba pursed his lips.

"Think about it, in all the time you've spent with Miyu has she ever revealed something emotional to you? Has she ever connected with you about a feeling? Has she ever empathized with any of you about anything?" the group gave scattered negative answers, "that's what I'm talking about. Miyu doesn't feel emotions. I don't know for how long, but I know for as long as I've known her she's never felt anything. She might be able to connect on a personal level with experiences and conversation but she's never once had a feeling."

The group was silent for some time, contemplating the new information.

"What does that have to do with her joining us?" Neji asked, not quite as shell shocked as the others having not known the girl very well.