Behind Doors

The walls were made of gray bricks, a single light was overhead and a small television was fixed in the corner. Two cots were stacked in a metal cage. Relief overwhelmed me. It was nothing more than a bedroom.

Beneath a desk, there was a shelf filled with books and two chairs. On top were two small stacks of clothing. I walked towards the desk and unfolded one of the stacks.

It was an emerald dress with white lace around the collar and sleeves. It was the kind of night clothes I had only seen in movies.

I undressed from my old clothes and changed into the new ones. The soft thread of the lace caught on my dry skin.

I looked again at the metal cage with two cots.

Everything was in pairs of two. If someone was supposed to be here, where were they?

I walked closer to the ladder of the bed, placed my sore feet on its metal rungs and threw myself on the top cot. It was plush was like an oversized pillow.

I pulled a nearby blanket on to me. My eyes and body relaxed, but my thoughts could not do the same. How long will I be here? What was going to happen to me now?

I had to stop myself. I had to get some sleep.

———

The click of the door ripped me away from my dreams. My eyes were open, but it was too dark to see.