Purpose

I sat at my desk, one hand gripped on a pencil the other pulled at my stockings. Ms. Clavette spoke from the front of the room but I didn't listen. I thought about when I had tried to escape instead.

Years had gone by since then. I was now six years old and no longer without a name. I was called H38 and wore it on the sleeve of my uniform. She was no longer just the girl with the curls. She was now nine years old and called V33.

I looked up from my book to V33 beside me, her pile of curls had been woven into plaits. Another one of Valencia's miracles.

Mrs. Clavette sat behind her desk in the front of the room. Her thick black hair was cut close to her chin. The sides of her thin lips permanently creased into a frown.

"Now students," Ms. Clavette said, and turned up her sharp nose, "We have another lesson that will require your complete attention."

V33 moved up her nose to match Ms. Clavette. I held my hand over my mouth and struggled not to laugh.

"You have learned many important lessons," Ms. Clavette said and stood from behind her desk, "Lessons such as math and grammar but there are more important lessons to be learned -"

I leaned forward in my desk to listen closer. V33 focused on the window and it's gardens outside instead.

"You see students," Clavette continued, "Long before any of you were born into this world, humanity was faced with many problems. The world had too many people and not enough for each of them. Many died without food or water. Countless more fighting for them."

Clavette pulled a book from her desk and walked between the rows.

"The world was in turmoil until a heroic young soldier, now known as Our Noble Leader, saw a way to bring order to the world again. The Ally nation would become the shelter for all the world's people."

Clavette's voice softened as she walked past my desk and pointed her gray eyes into mine.

"Our nation is our mother, and Our Noble Leader is our father," Clavette said, "Nothing is more important than the loyalty to your mother and father, students."

Ms. Clavette dropped her book onto V33's desk. I jumped back into my seat from the sharp thud.

"Do I bore you V33?" Clavette shouted above V33's desk.

V33 turned her gaze from the window, "No, Ms. Clavette," she said undisturbed.

All the eyes of the class waited for the swift sound of another smack, but Clavette continued to speak.

"As you can imagine some people do not share the same beliefs as Our Noble Leader. They think the world should be in darkness, disorder, and poverty once again. It is each of your responsibilities to carry on Our Noble Leaders mission by embracing your purpose here at the center."

Purpose.

I repeated the word in my head over and over again. I had never thought I had a purpose. It made the heels of my feet lift.

"That concludes instruction time for today. You can continue your reading until dismissal."

"Thank you, Ms. Clavette," the class said together and opened our books.

I propped my book on my desk and held it close to my face. I could smell the dust in its withered pages.

Everyone was absorbed in their reading. Except for the girl with mark.

.•:※──────✧※⏣※✧──────※:•.

Who could this new girl be? Please be sure to keep voting and commenting below. It helps this story get found by other readers like yourself.