The Canopy

"That's it! To the left!" Richard shouted.

Above men swung from ropes and nets.

I wrote on my blackboard with a stub of chalk. The white powder gathered under my nails.

"Are you sure this is safe?" I asked.

"Plenty safe," Richard said, and wiped dirt on his collar, "If we're ever going to have enough crops, we need to build higher!"

The garden and its ripe fruits stretched far over the roof. Around every corner, travelers tended to the gardens thirst.

It was nice to feel the sun again. During the long winter, we had used the stories of traveler summers to keep us warm. We listened about the endless sweets, music and games that brought the camp together for the harvest.

"Uncle Richard," I asked, "What's going to happen if the Allies come and we don't meet our dues? Will we still have a harvest?"

It startled me how quick his mood changed. It wasn't his usual anger that came with mention of Allies. This was fear.

"What a thinker you are," Richard said with a sharp grin, "Let's enjoy what we have now, and all the possibilities to come. Life is better that way, don't you think?"

Richard left me to help a man step down from a ladder. There was nothing I hated more than being left with more questions.

Lose a barrel, lose a head.

It was something I heard many times around the camp. Could it be true? Were the Allies that cruel? Of the few times I had met an Ally there was nothing to convince me otherwise.

"Lovely day, isn't it?" a voice said from behind.

I filched and dropped my chalkboard into a planter.

"Easy now! It's just me," Buggy said and handed my chalkboard back.

His usual wide-eyed stare had its usual spark of mischief. He was up to something. I steadied my breathing and laughed with him.

"How you been?" Buggy said, "I see you've been keeping busy."

"Yeah, real busy," I said and wiped the chalk off my hands.

"Don't say it like that. You have the most important job on the canopy!"

"No, I don't," I said and looked away.

It had only been a week, but already I was tired of hearing about it. Aren't you so excited? Buggy would ask. I would never say it aloud, but inside I was far from excited and all the more ashamed because of it.

First, it was Ida. Evee found her fabric spools after they were thought to be missing. She saved Ida and her fabric dues.

Alger then asked Evee to help with his workroom. It was cluttered with years of neglect. Evee fixed it for him in less than a day.

From then on she was busy all across the camp and helped anyone in need. Buggy would never say it, but I knew. I was just a plant counter, and Evee was the camp organizer.

"I did have an important job for you," Buggy said and turned away, "But if you're too busy."

"No, tell me!" I said and grabbed his coat.

"Okay fine," he said and turned back around, "The Allies have, not surprisingly, increased our dues and it's more than we've ever had to fill before."

"That's why your father wants to build the canopy higher," I said.

"Precisely," Buggy said and pointed to my chalkboard, "That's why we need you to help, and figure out if we have enough seeds to plant this year. I've got ten cases of seeds waiting for you downstairs if you're up for it that is."

This was my chance. I could save the travelers and all by myself.

"I've already asked Evee," Buggy said, "but she said you were the best for this job."

The heaviness in my chest returned as fast as it had soared. Of course, Buggy asked Evee first. Of course.

"I'll try my best," I said.

It was all I could say, as my mind continued to ramble.

"You all right?" Buggy asked and lowered his head to mine.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Just a little hot," I lied.

"It is a bit bright out here," Buggy said, and shielded his eyes with a hand, "How about we go downstairs to the seeds and get you out of the sun."

I followed him through the rows of the canopy. The branches grabbed at my sides as we passed.

Of course, he did. I thought again.

It was all I thought about for the rest of the day.