Turns

He pulled me further into the light as I twisted and kicked against him. Evee and Ocean were in the grips of two other men.

The rude man flashed his grit covered teeth and dropped me to the cold, wet floor.

"Screams," the man said and teetered his boots on my back, "Will only make this harder."

The wheeze of my lungs rattled in my ears. I wanted to scream but I couldn't.

From the corner of my eyes, Evee and Ocean were also on the ground. I settled lower into the floor to keep my bag hidden as I listened.

"The Elders, as always, never said what to do now," a tall man said.

The tall man's ill-fitted clothes exposed the scars of his lanky frame and his plaid hat was tossed across his thinly combed hair. I watched him pull up the tattered edge of his sleeves and throw a clanging bag of tools to the man beside him.

"Always like Ric to get us into one his schemes. Even if it's to off some kids," a man with gray hair said.

The bag stuck in my ribs like a knife. If only they knew what I had. Their job would be done much quicker.

"They ain't just some kids!" the rude man shouted, "How many times do I have to tell you both. These are center children. More trouble to the Elders than some Blackstone kids, like you fools believed."

With a swift blow, the rude man's boot hit my back. I struggled not to wail out in pain, or worse expose what was underneath me.

"What about the boy, Ric?" the gray-haired man said.

Ric, the blunt name suited the rude stranger.

"We'll fetch for him later," Ric said and picked through his pockets.

The gray-haired man tied Ocean and Evees hands together.

"I just don't feel right about this, they're just kids," the tall man said and tied my hands behind my back.

Ric walked to the tall man and ripped the bag from his hand.

"They're just kids now. But who knows why the scum wants them. No sense in finding out later. Besides, it's elders orders," Ric said, "It's either them or us. "

Ric pulled the handle of a rusted crowbar from the bag.

"Certainly, we can use something a bit quicker," the tall man said and retrieved another crowbar from the bag.

"If you do it right," Ric said and stepped towards Ocean, "It won't take long at all."

I closed my eyes as shoes scrapped against the slick concrete, and our cries carried through the tunnel and back again.

The center, the harvest, our family, and friends. All had been stolen.

Now it was our turn.