Bruises

Time can make just about anything normal. Sometimes normal can even change its meaning.

The end of summer always marked me turning another year older. I was never sure of the exact day. I was only reminded that "another year of service was finally over" by my mother. Time also had a way of making many memories understood.

That life and the people in it was as distant as the places I read about in my books. With each day the bright lights of the halls were as calming as daylight, and the cruel word of the other nurses made my affection for Valencia grow.

This year I was turning thirteen. I was finally old enough to assist Valencia during recreation. It was a job everyone had to do at least once. I volunteered whenever I had the chance and with no competition.

Valencia walked at my side, her slate swayed at her hips.

"It's so nice to have my favorite assistant with me today," she said.

I looked away from her.

"You always say that," I said.

Valencia let her shoulders slump, "And it's always true. Never let a compliment go, they're the hardest things to come by."

We passed the monitor station and continued past the medical ward. I finally had my chance to ask.

The idea came to me one day when I was sitting in class.

Ms. Clavette was ranting about our futures. Until then I had never thought about my future. It had always seemed far enough away it would never happen. Nothing important that is, and surely not to me. I didn't need to think about my future.

But, sitting in that class made me realize. If there was anything I wanted to be, it was Valencia. Or at least be a monitor nurse like her. That was close enough.

The need to ask was itching in me. I wasn't sure what to say. Or when to say it. The words were at the tips of my lips when Valencia noticed someone at the end of the hall.

"Dr. Hahn, good afternoon," she said, her steps picked up their pace.

"Ms. Cruz," Dr. Hahn said and smiled down at me, "I see you have a helper today."

I forced a smile. I made one every time Dr. Hahn, and I met.

"I apologize for my absence yesterday," Dr. Hahn said and shifted his focus from Valencia.

"I'll look more forward to next time," Valencia said and leaned closer to Dr. Hahn.

Behind them, Milo approach.

His massive fists swung at the side of his impatient stride that rattled the floors. Valencia and Dr. Hahn were so focused on each other they did not hear him.

"I seem to be seeing you both everywhere together," Milo said.

His words cut their tension like a dagger.

Dr. Hahn swiftly moved between Valencia and Milo. The gentleness of his brown eyes gone — the rasp in his voice grew.

"She has the right to be anywhere she wants," Dr. Hahn said.

"End this right now, Milo," Valencia whispered, "What if a supervisor sees this?"

Milo twisted his head to Valencia.

"It's not me who has to worry about supervisors, is it?" Milo said, "Because I know a certain someone who needs to know just how you choose to follow the rules."

Valencia stepped closer to Milo and thawed her words.

"Milo, remember," she said, "Remember what you came here for. What we came here for. All the lives you're risking."

Milo tipped his head back from Dr. Hahn.

"You'll find out soon enough, what I think," he said.

Milo walked away and disappeared into a crowd at the far end of the hall.

Valencia folded into Dr. Hahn's shoulders. Without hesitation, he wrapped his arms around her.

Valencia looked out from Dr. Hahn's shoulders and down at me. Her face lost it's golden flush as they broke apart.

I had once feared Milo for his intimidating strength. But his words lingered longer than any bruise ever could. I now feared him even more.