Nightmares || Peter Hale x Reader

Prompt:
12: "It's three in the morning. This better be important."

Lightning cracked across the sky as you tossed in your bed

Lightning cracked across the sky as you tossed in your bed. Your hands gripped your sheets as your eyes squeezed shut. Your heart pounded against your chest and with another crack of lightning, you were shooting up. Your breath was hitched in your throat as your hand found itself around your neck, making sure it was just you. You looked around your darkened room, panicked.

Nothing. Just you.

Your heart continued to pound as you counted to ten, something to get your breathing under control. It'd been a long time since you had a nightmare and you took it for granted. You could swear it was real; it had to be real but here you are, in your own bed in the loft. It felt so real though. You were never going to be able to get back to sleep, not after that and with the storm rumbling outside.

You grabbed your phone from the charger and turned on the flashlight before tip-toeing to the room across the hall. With a shaky hand, you knocked on the door and waited patiently as you heard movement. The door opened and Peter stood in front of you with sleepy eyes.

"It's three in the morning. This better be important." Peter groans, looking down to you.

"I-I-I had a nightmare." You hang your head in shame. You're an adult; you should be able to handle nightmares yourself.

"Oh." Peter says, his eyes widening grasping the situation. "Uh, alright. Come on." Peter says, opening his door completely and allowing you inside.

"Sorry, I just, uh, yeah." You stutter as Peter closes the door.

"Well, come on now. It's late, or early, I suppose." He jerks his head towards his bed and walks over.

"Are you sure it's okay?"

"Yes." He rolls his eyes as he gets into bed and leaves plenty of room for you to crawl in. "Why can't you fall back asleep?" Peter asks once you get situated under the blankets, laying beside him.

"I had a nightmare." You sigh, turning on your side to face him.

"Yeah, you said that. I meant what happened in said nightmare?" The annoyance of Peter being awakened diminished as he finally saw the distraught look on your face. You were scared and he knew it and hated it.

"I don't really know..." You look away but Peter wraps an arm around you, pulling you closer to him in order to reassure you. "Uh," You stumble for words, looking back to him. "It was someone choking me. It was really weird but it felt real as fuck."

"Well, I can assure and confirm that no one was choking you." Peter gave you a cornered smile.

"I know." You nod. "But it still felt real and it was enough to get me to wake up and the storm doesn't help." You mumble as thunder rumbled through the loft.

"Well, you're here and I'm not gonna let someone come in here and choke you." Peter kissed the top of your forehead, pulling you as close to him as possible.

"Thanks, Peter." You mumble against his chest, appreciating his affectionate side.

"I wouldn't let anything hurt you, alright?" Peter reassures again.

"Mhm." You hum calmly against him, your heart returning back to normal with his words, finally feeling safe again.