Unnecessary flashback because y'all deserve something for 4/13

>Years in the past, but not many...

What? This is not the time for a flashback!

Oh, fine. The flashback is allowed. For now.

>==>

A young girl is sitting in the back seat of an old car. Despite having lost a set and a half of parents in the span of a year, she is not crying. Her grievances remain private.

Her Not Brother, as she will insist for several years after, comes to the window of the car, with a phone number and a promise to have lots of reunions.

The words are stuck at the back of her throat. I love you. But she holds her tongue as the car speeds away.

Years go by. Many a sleepover and Thanksgiving dinner have been spent together, the Not Siblings' bond growing stronger. One night, the two huddled beneath the duvet, the boy trusts the girl with his deepest secret, one he's never told anyone, not even his father.

About his friend, he tells her. His friend that he might like a little bit more than a friend.

She asks who it is, her heart fluttering. Could it be her?

It isn't her.

A lump forms at the back of her throat. She feels as if she's going to puke out her heart. The girl is grateful for the darkness obscuring her face, including the tears she is certain that she is crying.

She contemplates telling him, but something stops her.

She thinks of the friend, and the way her Not Brother speaks about him. The way he smiles around him, in a way totally unlike how he's smiled since his mother died. She mentally slaps herself for not picking it up sooner.

She wipes the tears from her eyes, turns over and holds her Not Brother's hand.

He asks her if she hates him.

No, she replies. She could never hate him.

---
MMMM HAVE SOME UNNECESSARILY ANGSTY ONE-SIDED EREMIKA

I don't even ship it I just like angst

Also, happy 4/13! It seemed fitting that I should update my Homestuck related book today. The next update is coming soon, I promise. (Also I might publish one of my other fics? Maybe?)