Why AREN'T You Barefoot?

We go over to the table where Mother, Isadora, Margie, and Alex are. I sit between Mother and Margie and Edwin sits by Isadora. I'm glad Mother and Father chose names that can and will be shorted. Why can't I call them Ed and Isa?

While we we eat I take some time and examine their attire. For once I think my dress is on par with Mother's. She's wearing a light blue halter maxi dress and tan sandals. Crud. Sandals. I'm barefoot, alrighty then. Margie is in a knee length, fluffy, pastel pink tank top dress and silver sandals. Alex has on the typical suit, I can't imagine wearing long sleeves this time of year. Isadora has on a white sundress that accents her tan skin and dark hair. Finally Edwin, he's wearing a suit like Alex, except he has a blue pocket square.

     "Charlotte, why are you barefoot?"

     "Why aren't you barefoot?" I mentally cuss, I should have expected this. "I just like the feeling of the moss."

     We finish our meal and Mother has me take Edwin to his quarters. We're silent at first.

     "So," I check the clock, 1:13, "I'm meeting the guards for training in about an hour. You can either wander the castle, or you can come with Alex and I."

     "I'll come with."

     "Great! I'll swing by your room at 2:00 sharp, see you then."

     I run back to my room, slip out of my dress and put on my riding clothes from earlier, Molly Dutch braids my hair into pig tails, and the clock strikes 1:45. I pull on my riding boots and swing by Alex's room before getting Edwin.

    I smirk when he answers the door, this'll be fun.