Chapter 9

~America~

It was too much to handle. He came back into my life. He had hurt me really bad the day he chose Kriss. Then not receiving an invitation to the wedding was just the cherry on top. No matter how much coaxing my mom did I couldn't bring myself to watch it on the TV. I gave him my heart, and he just took it, and broke it. All because of a misunderstanding.

I had to leave before tears began to fall, and I became a wreck. It was something that I didn't need right now. He wanted to catch up? I told him what had happened after he broke me. I had married for the briefest time. But then it was taken from me. I'm cursed. I can't hold on to love.

At least I had two children that were the lights of my life. Marissa was at a friends', and Lucas was at home working on school work. Tomorrow is the annual Fall Festival for this part of Carolina, and I have a lot of work to do to set up for it. So I rush home to change. There I see Lucas at the  counter with his homework in front of him.

"What are you working on?" I ask from behind.

He looks up and at me. "Oh. Just some math homework," he says.

"The one thing I'm not good at. Do you get it?"

"Yeah. I'm almost finished."

"Hey why don't you finish up then you can come down to the square and help me set up."

"Okay."

I pat his head and head upstairs to change. I get out of my school uniform and into some jeans, T'shirt, and a pair of comfortable shoes. On my dresser is a photo of my late husband, Marissa, and Lucas when they were only babies. I smile at the memory. They have no idea that I was ever a Selected, and I'd like to keep it that way. Which means that they never knew that I used to have feelings for Maxon. How it's stayed a secret for this long is a miracle.

I head downstairs to see Lucas packing up. I go to the fridge to get a glass of water, and he heads upstairs to change I assume. He comes back down a few minutes later with a different shirt on.

"Are you ready?" I ask.

"Yeah."

We head out to the square to start to set up. The square is maybe two blocks from our house. So it isn't too bad of a walk. Better get out now while it's still warm.

The square isn't overly crowded but there are a good amount of people here. Setting up a makeshift stage, a sound system, and games. I'm setting up a booth with Lucas. Whatever it's going to be used for must be big. A game maybe, or selling goods.

Once it gets set up I'm called to the stage. There I have to help set up microphones and instruments. Then that's when I see it. A sleek black limousine. Like the one I rode in during the Selection. Everyone's attention is on the limousine. It's silent. Everyone has stopped what they were doing to watch whoever comes out of the limousine.

When the door opens a collective gasp goes over the crowd. Out from the car steps King Maxon and Queen Kriss with their children, and Clarkson and Amberly.

Everyone bows to them. The car drives off and they my make their way to the stage. I step off of the stage and bow as they pass. I heard Clarkson sigh as he passed me. I rise after they had passed. I focus on Maxon. All I could think about was our encounter earlier today. He casts a side look at me. I turn my head to avoid his gaze. Instead I find my son out in the crowd. I see him, and his attention is on the stage.

I direct my attention to the stage where Maxon is beginning to talk. "Hello people of Carolina. We are very pleased to be here during your festival. But that is not the reason for our last minute trip. As my first act as king I have decided to gather a further understanding of the education in provinces here in Illéa. So please continue what you are doing."

The people cheered and continued to finish their tasks at hand. The royal family went off the same side as they came one. I slide back to make room for them. Try to make myself invisible. But it doesn't work. Clarkson stops right in front of me.

"Looks like nothing has changed here. Once in the background always in the background," he says at my attempt to hide myself.

"Dad," Maxon says.

"What? After all, she wasn't fit to rule. Good thing too."

As they leave I see Kriss look over her shoulder and give me a little smile. But it wasn't a smile of encouragement. No she was smiling because I had lost what really mattered. My one chance at love.

A tear slides down my face. But I wipe it away before anyone sees it. I continue to set up the stage.

By the time the square is set up it's night. The royal family is gone for the day. We were all given some food for helping set up. Marissa must've came at some time during the set up because when I found Lucas I saw Marissa was with him. From across the square a photographer was taking photos.

"We better get home. The Report is going to be on soon," I say.

As we walk Marissa begins to talk, "Mom, did you know that King Maxon is here with his whole family? Right here in Carolina!"

"Yes I did know that. They were at the school after you girls left for the day."

"They were? I miss them."

I laugh. Marissa reminds me of May. Boy crazy for the prince's of Illéa. We head home to a pretty empty house. We sit down on the couch and watch The Report.