Chapter 13

~Maxon~

The way America sits at the piano is just beautiful. I know that after this weekend there won't be anything we can do. I leave, and she'll be out of my life forever. There has to be a way to keep her in my life.

Many more people began to sit and listen to America. But by the time she was finished not many people were sitting. Many were at the different booths. I applaud and America flashes a smile at me. She collects her things, then makes her way down to me.

"I'm going to go back home to put the music away. I'm not going to carry it around all day," she says once she gets close enough.

She begins to walk home, and I follow at her side. She fiddles with the keys trying to find the right one. They drop from her hand when she goes to put them in the lock.

"I've got them," I say. I bend over and pick them up. She takes them from my hand, and unlocks the door.

We step inside. It's significantly cooler in the house than outside. She goes to her piano and puts the music on top of it. She comes back over to me. "Are you ready for the best day ever?" She asks.

"Definitely. I even brought a camera," I say as I pull out a small camera from my back pocket of my jeans.

"Let's go," says with a laugh.

We leave her house, and go to the festival. We play games, walk around, and eat good food, while I took photos of her all day. She was just as beautiful as she was in the Selection.

It wasn't long until we ran into America's daughter Marissa.

"Hey mom. Who's this?" Marissa asked skeptically.

"This is an old friend of mine. He's just visiting for a few days," America says.

I remember that Marissa and Lucas have no idea she was in the Selection. They also can't know that I'm the future king.

"That's cool. I'm Marissa," she says extending her hand.

I shake it and say, "Hi Marissa I'm Mason."

"It's nice to meet you Mason. Mom the girls and I are going to go home and get ready for tonight."

"That's alright. Just clean up after you're done!" America yelled over the mass of girls. Once they were gone she turns to me and says, "Mason? Really?"

"Hey, I couldn't think of a name," I say at my totally made up name.

"Hey just don't accidentally say the wrong thing. People don't need to know you're with me."

"I know. I'm not worried about that. I'm worried about my family seeing me with you."

"I would be too if I were you."

"Yeah. Today's been great. I'm expected to make a royal appearance later tonight. My mother wants to see the talent show so I might do that with her. Are you in the talent show?"

"No."

"Why not?"

"I don't know. Everyone kinda knows me here. They all know what I can do."

"Well then blow them away with your incredible violin skills. Play something hard and unforgettable."

"If I enter will you stop pestering me with it?"

"Yes. I just want to hear you play one last time."

"Fine. We'll go see if I can still enter."

"Good. Let's go."

I take America's hand and lead her to the booth. Not only is there time, but there is also one spot left to fill. America signs up, and we leave.

I take more photos. A clock nearby chimes four. "I have to go. I'll see you later Miss America."

"Goodbye Your Highness," America says with a mock curtsy.

We head in our separate ways. My family and I are staying in a small inn that was rented to us. It was big enough for all of us to have our own rooms. I go back to my room on the second floor of the inn. I open the door, and to my luck Kriss wasn't back yet.

I take my camera and safely hide it away in my bag where no one can find it. I change out of the street clothes, and into a suit to make my royal appearance. The talent show starts at five. I check the time with the clock on the wall. Four thirty. I still have about fifteen minutes before I have to leave. I sit on the bed and think about my amazing day with America.

A day where neither of us had to worry about responsibility, and the past. In fact we didn't even bring up the Selection all day. Hopefully it will stay that way.

A soft knock comes at the door. I stand and open it. There stands my mother.

"Are you ready to go? It's nearly five," she says.

I look over my shoulder. Sure enough the clock reads five fifty five. "Yes. I must've lost track of time," I say stepping out of the room. I offer my mother my arm and she takes it. We walk down the stairs and to the front of the inn.

"How was the festival today?" She asks me.

"It was really good. I enjoyed it. I think I'm going to love this even more," I say.

The limousine was there to take my mother and I to the festival. The ride was short, but worth not being mobbed by everyone. We get out just as the show is about to begin. Guards escort us to seats that are set up in the middle of the crowd.

The show goes slowly, but sure enough America comes on last. I watch her performance. Her fingers fly over the strings. Her eyes are closed in concentration.

Once she finishes she looks out. Everyone breaks into applause. She smiles and locks eyes with me. She gives a small nod and walks off the stage.

My mom mutters something. I turn to look at her, and she has the widest smile on her face.