Chapter 12

~America~

"Mom! Get up we're late!" I hear someone yell.

I sit straight up in bed. I check the time on the clock on my nightstand. It's 9:30. The time I'm supposed to meet the girls at the stage. I am so very late.

I kick back the covers on the bed not caring to make it. I quickly pull something out of my closet, and pull it on. Then onto the mirror. I fix my hair into a simple ponytail. I get my shoes, and I run down the stairs.

Lucas has a plate of food ready. I just grab a piece of toast, and eat it as I get my shoes on. Marissa hands me my music when I'm by the door. I turn to Lucas, and say, "Just put it in the fridge. I'll eat it when I get back. We're at the square if you need us."

He nods as Marissa, and I head out the door. This is the first time I've been late to anything. I'm going to kill Maxon for making me late. I blame it on him for keeping me up at night, but last night was truly something. It was something that I hadn't had in a long time. Love.

We're at the stage, and all of the other girls are there already. "I am so sorry I am late. I overslept," I say. "Okay warm up then we'll get started."

I play the piano as they tune, and warm up. Then we practice. I had made sure all of the electrical stuff was unplugged from the piano so that they wouldn't be singing all over town. We finish, and the festival is ready to start. I plug everything back in, and I'm off.

I go to the edge of the festival where everyone gathers for the ceremonial ribbon cutting to open the festival. This year Maxon, and Kriss will cut the ribbon due to their audience here in Carolina. All eyes will be on them.

I am behind the ribbon opposite everyone else. A handful of people are over here too. Including the royal family. I approach the side of the crowd where the ribbon is tied to the post. I watch as the crowd gets thicker with people. Then a microphone is brought out for the mayor.

I zone out during the mayor's speech, and focus on the back of Maxon's head. I try not to stare in case if someone from the press noticed me. The last thing Maxon needs is a scandal.

The ribbon is cut, and the festival begins. People flood into the festival. I have to play for the first hour and a half. So I head home to change into something nicer than this.

Once I reach the house I notice that it's abnormally quiet. Marissa, and Lucas are both gone at the festival so it is just me in the house. I sigh as I close the door. I kick off my shoes, and go to the fridge to retrieve my breakfast. I warm it up. As it heats up I decide to work on my hair. So I go upstairs to fix it. I pull it out, and pull it back so that it is a nice neat bun. The timer dings, and I quickly make my way back downstairs.

I get it, and go back upstairs. I decide to sit on the part of the roof that I was on last night when Maxon showed up. I sit, and eat my eggs, and toast. Once finished I rest the plate next to me. You can see the festival from here. It's full of life, and joy. Maxon, and his family are nowhere to be found. Maybe they left to change to blend in better with the crowd.

I climb back into the house to change. I now have on a nice blouse, jeans, and a nice pair of flats. My usual performance attire. A knock comes at the door. I answer it, and there stands Maxon. He isn't in his suit. Instead jeans, and a t-shirt.

"May I escort you to the festival Ms America?" He asks.

"You may. Just one minute if you may wait. You can come in if you like," I say.

He follows me into my house. I realize how much of a mess it is. Marissa's, and Lucas's school bags were on the floor next to the door, which is also next to the shoe pile. Our sink is full of dirty dishes. There is a pile of folded laundry next to the couch. The house is a wreck.

Maxon steps farther into the house closing the door behind him. "Pardon the mess. I had no idea the King of Illéa was going to be here," I say putting my plate in the sink.

"First off I'm not king until next week. Second I don't mind the mess. It honestly looks more natural like this," he says.

"Well it doesn't usually look like this, but with me having to help with the festival, and being gone because of it means I haven't had time to clean." He snorts. "Why are you laughing?" I ask turning towards him. A smile smile playing at my lips.

"Because I'd never think to see the great America Singer act like such an adult."

"Ha ha ha. Laugh all you want. I am a mother of two. It takes work when you don't live in a palace."

"Who said living in a palace is easy?"

"I never said it was easy. It's just different with its different ups, and downs." There was a pause. "Let me get my music then we can go."

I go to the next room where our piano is. There on top of the piano is all of my music. I grab it, and go back into the front room. I find Maxon looking at old family photos. There is only one that has my late husband in it. Maxon is looking at the one photo specifically.

"Are you ready?" I ask.

"Hm? Oh yes," he replies walking back over to me. He takes my arm, and we walk out of the house. After a minute Maxon asks, "You loved him didn't you?"

"Aspen, or my late husband?"

"Your husband."

"Not as much as I loved you. He was just like you though. Hopeful, funny, and fun to be around. He was everything that I looked for in a guy. Because they were the same traits that you have Maxon, but I had one rule. I would not date another man that had blonde hair, and brown eyes."

"And why is that?"

"Because they reminded me too much of you. You were everything I didn't know I wanted until it was gone."

We're silent the rest of the walk to the stage. "Well this is where I leave you. I will see you later Ms America Singer."

He nods his head, and leaves. I watch as he finds a place in the crowd where he can watch me. I blush a little, and look to the ground. I am the happiest I have been in a long time. Picking my head up I go to the stage, and begin. It would be more than hour and a half before I would get to talk to Maxon again. Maybe next time we wouldn't dwell on the past, but instead see the future.