{2}

Chapter 2

You grumbled to yourself as you sprinted through the lands. In this world, it seemed as though you had unlimited stamina, since you have yet to grow tired, running side by side with Gandalf as he led the way to Beorn's house.

Just as you were beginning to see the end of the forest that was before the house, everything began to get all out of wack again, just this time, you felt it... it was a voice in the back of your head and it caused you to feel light-headed, but before you knew it, the Bear came busting through the trees, right on Nori's heels.

"Gandalf," You got his attention as you breached the meadow, "Get them to the house, I'll distract him!" You yelled, before he could tell you to not be so idiotic, you were already turning around and running past the dwarves who all shouted at you and stared at you like you were crazy, while one or two of them tried to grab you and make you run with them. "[Y/n], what are you doing?!"

"You're going the wrong way!"

"Don't be stupid!"

""[Y/n] no!"

"[Y/n]!"

Ignoring them all, you ran right in front of Beorn, causing him to snap his jaws at you, to which you sucked in your stomach and hopped backwards, away from his bone crushing jaws, and ran across the meadow with him in pursuit.

You danced around with him, almost getting hit more times then you were confortable with, when you rolled under him, he rounded on you before you could get up and smacked you with one of his humongous paws, causing you to go flying.

A slight high pitched noice filled your ears as you laid there for a few seconds, feeling dazed by the hit, and feeling the pain in your side, which you knew was going to leave a big bruise later on.

The sound of thundering paw steps knocked you back into reality, to which you stumbled up and began to make a dash towards the safety of the house, staggering a bit as you went.

All the dwarves were inside already, screaming for you to run faster and making hand gestures at you to come on.

When you finally got into the house, you couldn't seem to stop yourself in time before doing a crash and burn into the furniture, which resulted in loud crashing of chairs and swear words, and was also followed by the sound of Beorn ramming into the door.

By the time you began to stumble back up onto your feet, the door was already shut and locked.

Huffing out breaths of air, you pushed a oversized chair off of your bruising body, causing it to fall over with a loud thud, which not surprisingly, went unnoticed by the company.

Slowly, you walked back to the group, entering a familiar conversation.

"That is our host..." Gandalf paused, taking in his surroundings. "His name is Beorn, and he's a Skin-Changer."

He began to make his way past the dwarves and deeper into the house, his voice echoing behind him. "Sometimes he's a huge black bear. Sometimes he's a great strong man."

"More like a great hairy man." You muttered under your breath as you began to follow behind Gandalf with the rest of the Dwarves.

Gandalf glanced back at you and giving you a small smile before continuing. "The bear is unpredictable... but the man can be reasoned with. However..." He began, looked over at Thorin, who was slowly sneaking his way to your side, trying to get there before Bilbo did. "He is not overfond of Dwarves."

This caused everyone to become unsettled, whispering to each other quietly.

Everything was beginning to quiet down, cueing Ori. "He's leaving."

Dori quickly grabbed him and began dragging him from the huge doors. "Come away from there! It's not natural. None of it!" He suddenly looked up at Gandalf. "It's obvious. He's under some... dark spell!"

You couldn't help yourself but to snort, this was all familiar to you, which you were happy about, which also means you didn't have to entirely listen to the whole conversation.

Although, you were snapped out of your thoughts as quickly as you entered them. "[Y/n], I am quite sure you should be tired after what happened today, so why are you still standing there? Does something bother you?"

Once you looked over, you seen Gandalf resting on his staff a couple of feet away from you, wise eyes gazing down at you with slight worry.

You stood there for a moment, trying to think up the right words to use. "Something went wrong... again." You whispered the last part quietly as you glanced around, making sure no one was up or moving around before continuing. "Beorn wasn't supposed to show up that quickly... there should have still been time to get the door open before he actually reached us... most, if not all of you would have been killed if I hadn't have danced around with him like that." You paused, taking a breath of the night's calming air, resisting the urge to hiss in pain, before continuing. "Things are going wrong again Gandalf! And... and if certain events go wrong, then I won't always be there to push everything back onto it's destined path..." Your voice was slowly increasing volume to a whisper-yell as you began to imagine all that could go wrong.

Gandalf did not speak for another couple of moments, but then at last he said something reassuring. "Do not trouble yourself with all of this my dear. There is nothing that Middle-Earth could throw at you that you can not fight through. For you are [Y/n], Middle-Earth's greatest ally."

He gave you a reassuring pat on your shoulder before heading off to his hay pile or to stand watch, leaving you there to find an empty place to sleep.

And all the while, you had forgotten that Bilbo was still wide awake... and he heard everything that was exchanged between the two of you. Intentional or not. And he couldn't help but to worry.

__