{12}

Chapter 12

You quickly elbowed Balin, in order to get him into his dialogue that would eventually get everyone on the boat.

"So...um-you're from Lake Town." Balin observed while taking a couple of cautious steps towards Bard, but quickly raised his hands in the air when he pointed his bow at him. "That barge over there... it wouldn't be available for hire, by any chance?"

Bard just sighed and put away his bow before walking off towards his boat.

To which everyone followed.

Much to some's surprise, you walked ahead of the group towards Bard, the two bottles of Elven Wine gripped in your hands.

Bard turned to you with a slightly curious look. "What is it woman? Dwarves send you to bargain with me?"

You shrugged a bit. "It's [Y/n], and no, not really. But if this pays for a ride to Lake Town, then yes." You slightly shook the bottles in front of his face to try an tempt him.

He looked hesitant for a moment, but took one of the bottles from your hand and examined it, which you allowed, before looking back up at you. "What kind of wine is this?"

"Elven Wine." That was all you said, watching as he uncorked the glass bottle before taking a sip of it.

He wiped his mouth with the sleeve of his jacket. "You don't just come by this kind of wine everyday..." He looked to be debating on whether or not to question you further. "What are you doing wondering around with halflings, [Y/n]?" He raised an eyebrow, still suspicious.

You paused for a second, thinking of something that would be believable. "They're simple merchants from the Blue Mountains, going to see their kin in the Iron Hills... and me.. I just happened to be picked up by these Dwarves and have followed them around ever since." You said with a smile, trying see if he'll take it as an answer.

By now, all the Dwarves had made their way behind you or by your side, nodding in agreement to your lie.

At this, Bard seemed to laugh a bit. "Simple merchants you say?" He looked back over at you. "To me, it looks like you've been through more then you're letting on." He said, looking you over, eyes lingering on your scared wrists and whipped back.

Thorin stepped in, trying to distract him from your, now uncomfortable, form. "We need food, supplies, weapons. Can you help us?"

Bard gave him a knowing look. "I know where these barrels came from." He said as he rubbed where the barrel was splintered.

Everyone began to look nervous, and Thorin swallowed. "What of it?" He asked while glancing up at Bard, but refusing to get any closer to him as you did.

Bard went to the front of the ships. "I don't know what business you had with the Elves..." He shook his head. "But I don't think it ended well." There was a tense pause. "No one enter Lake Town but by leave of the Master. All his wealth comes from trade with the Woodland Realm." He began to get his boat ready for leave. "He would see you in irons before risking the wrath of King Thranduil." He threw the rope at Balin, who was looking hopelessly around until his eyes landed on you.

With a sigh, you shook your head and walked up to Bard, who was happily getting everything ready. "I can offer you money, the wine..." You paused, trying to think of something more, watching as Bard turned around to face you with an amused smile on his face.

"What else can you offer me? It seems as though you have nothing more to offer." He began to turn back around, but stopped at your words.

"I... I can give you a glimpse into yours, or anyone's future... although I don't usually do it... it seems that I have no more choices." You spoke slowly, drawing in his interest.

"You? The future? You must be pulling my leg." He laughed and shook his head.

"I've never been wrong before." You said with a smile, seeing him give into temptation.

"Alright... fine."

You just got the Dwarves out of paying extra money... nice.

___________