Chapter Six--Kyra

Picture to the right is Danno :]

--Ash

=========================================================

Chapter Six—Kyra

I close my notebook and just stare out over the land. I feel a strange sense of peace with the world. Writing it all out doesn’t get rid of the feelings, but it helps me face them. Some things are hard to talk about with others, hard to talk about to yourself. Speaking the feelings I have is too difficult right now so, to compensate, I scratch them down into my notebook. They are useless to the people who will find it, but it makes me feel more like, well, me. It helps me to remember that even though I lost just about everything, I’m still alive and have to live for those who didn’t.

            I swear I hear the wind whisper in my ear, Move on. It sounds like Bas. And even though I know it’s my imagination, a single tear still drips down my face before I can restrain myself.

            “I’m trying,” I murmur back, hoping he knows I still love him wherever and whatever he is. He’ll always be the boy who stole my heart with one look. Not that I minded.

            “Hey, whatcha doing up here all by yourself? The party’s downstairs.”

            I turn to the hole in the roof. Arch is sitting on one of the top rungs of the ladder watching me.

            I brush the tear away and clear my throat. “I’m just guarding for a little bit. I’ll be down soon.”

            He shakes his head. “Graham says you were up here before seven. It’s past two now.”

            “Is it really?” I ask.

            “Yup. So maybe you should go down and I’ll stay up here for a bit.” He easily leaps up onto the roof, landing with a soft thud. He makes his way over towards me, but I hold my arms out, waving them around frantically. I’m not ready.

            “No! No that’s fine really. I like being up here and it’s your party, you should enjoy it. I promise I will come down later. I just...I kind of want to be alone for awhile.”

            Archer sighs. “You sure?”

            “Positive.”

            He looks at me suspiciously, trying to figure out my motives I think. “All right, but if you don’t come down and enjoy it, I’m kicking your butt.”

            I chuckle. “Deal.”

            He descends the ladder leaving me to my thoughts once more.

...

“You’re kicked out.”

            I blink and turn to the voice. My eyes take a while to adjust. I’ve been staring at the trees for, well, I’m not actually sure how long. Seeing something else just feels unnatural.

            “What do you mean ‘kicked out’?” I ask Izzie.

            “It means you’re no longer allowed up here. It’s six. You’ve been guarding for almost twelve hours. And you didn’t come down for lunch. Graham, Jackie, and Dan are setting up the motion detector monitor things so that everyone can come down to the party. By everyone I mean you.”

            “But the motion detectors—”

            “We can use them for a night, Ky. It’ll be all right.”