Chapter Fourteen--Trace

Chapter Fourteen—Trace

We hear Kyra start to clamber down the stairs. The six members of her group unconsciously sit up straighter. I raise an eyebrow, curious as to why they need to prove themselves to this tiny girl.

She starts talking before she even enters the room. “All right guys, if we’ve got everything ready, I’d like to be out of here in, say—” She halts when she sees them sitting on the couches in their pyjamas.

“What’s going on?” she demands aggressively, running a hand through her damp hair, presumably to uncover her eyes and make her glare more effective.

“Kyra, we need to talk,” Danno begins.

“Way to make it sound like you’re breaking up with her. You know, when nothing even happened between you two,” Archie says, somewhat gloatingly. Daniel frowns at him.

My eyes widen. Kyra Leigh and Daniel. Well, that’s news to me, then again, there’s always surprises when it comes to this girl.

“Boss, listen, we just wanted to explain that...” Tamsyn stops, unsure of how to finish.

“That we like it here,” Izzie picks up, “and we don’t know why you want to leave.”

“We’d have a nice life here. We’d be protected,” Jackie adds.

“You!” Kyra Leigh turns to me and points an accusing finger. She stalks towards me and I take a step back without even realizing it. So that’s why they listen to her, she’s bloody terrifying when she needs to be. “You put them up to this, didn’t you? You have them...you have them brainwashed or something!”

“I have them brainwashed? Take a look in the mirror. Who do they call ‘Boss’ and listen to their every word like it’s a law? Who commands them and orders what happens and when it happens? Not me, Princess. Not me,” I retort.

“What? So you think I’m some sort of dictator?”

“I never said that!” I reply, trying to curb my anger.

“It was an implication!”

“I didn’t—” I start to explode, but Danno cuts me off.

“Kyra, he’s trying to tell you something,” he says in a quiet voice.

“Yea, I got that,” she snorts.

I sigh. “Sit down.”

“What?” she asks, confused.

“Please just sit for a moment.”

“I want to leave n—”

Eruption. “Just sit down!”

She glowers at me but complies.

I look to Danny who nods his head. “I want—”

“Why are there so few supplies in the front hall?” Kyra interrupts.

I close my eyes and take a deep breath. “Because, Kyra Leigh, you aren’t leaving.” She starts to argue, but I shout over her. “You want to be away from me and that’s fine, I get it, but I will not let you lead your friends into danger. You can have the house, your friends know what to do. I will leave.”

This is news to everyone except Danny. They all stare at me. My eyes don’t waver from Kyra Leigh as she frowns at me.

At last, she turns to her team. “Is this true?”

They slowly nod their heads. Kyra glances down at her hands, and for a moment, I think that she’s got the message. Then she looks up at us with fire in her eyes,

Journal of the Survivorsजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें