Chapter Eight--Trace

Howdy!

So, I have a bit of news.

Updates might be later than usual due to personal matters. Wolf Shade won't have a new chapter for a little while. This story was my NaNoWriMo so I still have some other chapters to post every few days.

Sorry guys, but there's stuff that I need to handle at the moment.

SIDENOTE: Bailey's picture is at the side. 

Thanks for understanding.

--Ash

=================================================

Chapter Eight—Trace

I stuff my hands into the pockets of my jeans as I walk and contemplate what to do with the people behind me. On the one hand, I’ve been alone for a long, long time and I’ve enjoyed it that way. There’s no one to take care of besides myself, well, and Fang, but he doesn’t really count considering he’s not a human. When I’m on my own, I don’t have to watch anyone’s back. I don’t have to fight to survive all while knowing that others are relying on me. One slip and I could cost someone their life, their existence. I’ve had to deal with that before and it didn’t go over very well.

            On the other hand, I’ve been alone for a long, long time and maybe it wouldn’t be so bad if these people joined me. I like to think that I can cope on my own, but I find myself craving someone to talk to and answer back. There’s just me and Fang in a house of nothing. Plus they seem able to defend themselves well, except for the one blonde girl who looks like the human version of Barbie. I don’t think she could kill a fruit fly without breaking into distressed sobs. And the majority of them appear to be likeable. The only one who gets on my nerves is Kyra Leigh, but I think that’s just in her disposition to be unpleasant. She’s like a teenaged, female Ebenezer Scrooge, except instead of being greedy with money, she’s greedy with pride and control. You pay her a compliment, she snaps at you. You try to help her, she yells. You give her a weapon that is not her precious bow and arrows, she fails. I mean, bow and arrows? Seriously? Does this girl have a Robin Hood complex or something?

            “All right, new plan,” I say as I spin on my heels and walk backwards to relay to them my idea. “For the time being, I think it would be more efficient and safe if you crashed at my place. You can stay there until we figure something else out. There isn’t a lot of daylight left,” I gesture to the setting sun, “and I rather not have to hack your heads off if you guys become zombies, especially when I had the capability to see to it that you didn’t turn into flesh craving beasts. So whatcha think?”

            “I think that you can take that offer and shove it—” Kyra Leigh starts but is interrupted by Daniel who slams a hand over her mouth to silence her.

            “That would be great, thanks,” he answers. Kyra Leigh glares at him and he shrugs, but a tiny grin appears on his face. I get the feeling that the two of them are close.

            I scan the others to see what they think. Girl twin looks like she’s going to piss herself she’s smiling so broadly. Mr. Abercrombie & Finch mumbles to himself angrily. Small blonde is too busy talking with cowboy to care. Isaiah gives me the thumbs up, and, lastly, tall blonde looks like a hop-along. She favours her one leg. I think that her ankle might be broken or badly sprained, but then I look at it more closely. Shit.

            “Hey Princess, could I talk to you for a moment please? In private?”Before she can answer, a grab her arm and pull her a little ways off the path. “You guys keeping going,” I call to everyone else. “We’ll be fine!”