chapter 13 - memories

she's

broken

because

she

believed

-----------------

8 years earlier

"Mason!" I yelled and grabbed my stuffed animal while throwing the door open. My dark brown pigtails blew past me as I bolted down the hall. I took a right sharp turn to be welcomed by another long hall.

The black oak wood door of Mason's room came to my vision and I smiled. "Mason!" I yelled once more and started running to Mason's room that was straight ahead.

My pink knee-length dress flew behind me as my red flats tackled the ground. My brown teddy bear named Lary was held tightly under my arm as I continued running. I came to a sharp halt once I was in front of the door, almost running into it. 

I anxiously knocked on the door and waited for an answer as I put my hands behind my back with Lary still in my small hands. I heard shuffling from the other side of the door as the door flew open to reveal my 13-year old brother.

His eyes held an annoyed look as he glared at me. "What do you want Arden?" he asked harshly as I squeezed Lary's arm tighter.

His black short hair was ruffled from all the times he put his hands through it and his grey eyes bore into mine.  He looked exactly like my father with high cheekbones and sharp features. He had a few faint freckles under his cheeks but it was barely noticeable and there were deep bags under his eyes from lack of sleep.

I gave him a huge smile and took a small back since I couldn't meet his line of vision. "Mum and dad said that you need to take care of me because they are grown-up talking," I told him using quotations for the 'grown-up' part.

Mason gave me a confused glance and arched a brow. "Grown-up talking?" he asked and I smiled at his confusion.

"Yup, they told me 'Arden, go upstairs to your brother's room because the grown-ups need to talk'" I told him mimicking my mum's voice. Mason gave me a sly smile as he leaned against the door frame.

His smile faltered as we heard yelling from downstairs. His face turned serious as he looked at me warily. "Arden, what are they talking about?" he asked and stood straight. I just shrugged my shoulders, clearly not thinking much about the yelling coming from downstairs.

He nodded slowly and walked past me, pushing me away. He stalked towards the stairwell as I followed closely behind him. He kneeled down as he looked at my fighting parents. "What are-" I asked but Mason cut me off.

"Shh," he told me and tried to shoo me away. His gaze landed back to my fighting parents and walked them intently.

My mother's petite frame and 5'5  hight came to my vision as she threw her hands in the air. Her dark brown curly hair rested on her shoulders as her brown eyes held furry and pain. Her soft features were moulded into anger as she yelled at my father.

"We can't keep doing this Luciano!" my mum yelled putting her hand on her waist, making her white shirt rise up a little. My mum was wearing blue loose pants that were rolled up to her ankles with her white shirt tucked in at the front.

My father's muscular frame and 6'2 hight towered over my mum's, perfect for a Navy SEAL. His sharp features and grey eyes bore into my mothers. He ran a hand through his black hair and sighed deeply.

"I know Ferra, I know," he whispered as his eyes held sadness. My mother's features softened as she knew my father was in pain. My eyes landed on the bags that laid against the foot of the couch.

"Can't they call another guy! There are a million men and women that are able to do this!" My mum cried. My father grabbed my mum's waist and engulfed her in a hug.

"I'm sorry," my father whispered, his voice cracking in the end. My mother let out a sob and rested her head against my father's chest.

That's when I took in my fathers clothes. He was wearing a military camouflage jacket with tan combat boots and camouflage pants. I noticed a silver light catch my eye and I turned my attention towards it. It was my father's dog tags. They were clutched in his huge hand. My eyes filled with tears as I knew what was going to happen.

He was being sent overseas.

Where? Well, dad never told us because it was classified. They could be as far North as Antartica or far south as Chile.

Mason wiped his eyes and slowly stood up. He trailed down the stairs, his back hunched over in agony. I slowly followed close behind him, Larry still in my scrawny fingers. Tears cascaded down my cheeks as I let out a strangled sob.

My parent's attention went to us as Mason held his head high. "You're leaving?" he asked, his voice filled with pain. My father nodded slowly as my mum got out of his arms.

I shook my head violently and ran towards my dad. "Please don't leave daddy!" I cried and my dad picked me up. I hugged him tightly, my arms wrapped around his neck. I heard sniffling coming from my father as he kissed my forehead.

"It's only for a few days kido,"  my father whispered and I heard Mason scoff.

"Yeah, that's what you said last time and you were gone for 8 months," Mason told my father in disbelief. I took my head out of my father's neck and looked at Mason. The brim of his eyes was forming with tears but he fought to keep them down.

He gave my dad one last look and stomped up the stairs. My mother let out a shaky sigh and shook her head slightly. "I'll go talk to him," she whispered and slowly walked up the stairs.

My father let out a deep sigh and looked at me, his piercing grey eyes staring into mine. He brought his hand up and wiped my tears away with his big thumb. He gave me a small smile and put me down.

I looked at him pleadingly as he grabbed the two duffle bags and swung them over his shoulders. He ignored my silent pleas and walked towards the door, opening it and slamming it shut.

He didn't even spare me one last glance.

(Narrators pov)

And that's when Arden knew, that her father would never be the same. He came back 10 months later, but every night he would wake up yelling and screaming. His eyes would fill with tears as he pleaded for the enemy to stop. Arden's mother would shake him, pleading for him to wake him up.

"Why don't you tell me what happened?" Arden's mum would ask at the dinner table one day. Arden's father would glance at her with purple bags under his eyes.

He would shake his head violently and take a swing of his beer. "I would never," he would whisper.