chapter 14- Please

The most painful

goodbyes are the

ones that are never

said and never

explained,

-unknown

/////////////////

"Fred!" I laughed as I walked into the gun store, my arms outstretched. The huge bulky man behind the cash register lifted his head and looked at me. His thick bushy eyebrow raised as he eyed at me with his questioning green eyes.  

"Who are you?" he questioned rudely, folding his huge arms. Arching a brow in confusion, I tilted my head to the side and eyed him.

"Who else would I be? The president's wife?" I snapped sarcastically. He cracked a smile and nodded.

"That would be nice wouldn't it," he fired back and messaged his brown stubble. "Now that I think about it," he tilted his head sideways as if examining me. "You do look like the first lady," he taunted as I walked towards the counter.

I rolled my eyes and slapped my hand on the counter. "Fredrick," I warned but it came out as a low growl. He arched a brow in amusement and leaned against the wall that was behind him.

"Spunky aren't we?" he asked in amusement. I was about to explode when he waved me off. "Good to see you CJ," he laughed.

I opened my mouth to say something but it quickly closed as my eyes set into a hard glare.  "I hate you," I growled but soon my mouth cracked into a small smile. His chest rose up and down as he laughed.

He suddenly stopped laughing as his eyes wrinkled and his mouth set into a frown. "It's been a while CJ," he mumbled and I gave him a nervous laugh. I scratched the back of my neck as I shuffled my feet.

"Yeah...about that," I mumbled, guilt straining through my words. Fred just shrugged his shoulders and stood up straight. He patted down the invisible dust off his jeans and cleared his throat.

"How did you find me?" he asked. I rolled my eyes as a smirk played on my face.

"It's not so hard to find you old man," I smirked and he glared at the nickname. "You weren't exactly 'hiding'," I told him, using quotation marks.

"I'm not old," he argued and I grinned. "I'm 46," he complained as I laughed.

"Yeah yeah, whatever helps you sleep at night," I winked and he chuckled. He once again leaned on the countertop as his eyes turned cold as steel.

"I'm guessing you're not just here to chat," he said, his tone cold. Quitely sighing, I turned around and put my hand on the countertop behind me. Using all the strength had, I pushed myself up and landed on it. 

My feet swayed as I kicked them against the cabinet like I used to do. "I need your help finding someone," I finally said, my voice dragging.

He raised an eyebrow and stared at me in confusion. "Really?" he asked and I nodded. "Ok, who is it?"

Scowling as I remembered the person, I turned my attention to the walls of the store. "His name is Landen Johnson," I finished and turned my gaze back to Fred. "Do you know anything about him?" I asked, my voice begging.

He shook his head and I felt my heart deflate. "I haven't seen him and I feel like something is wrong. Do you think you can call one of your contacts and find out?" I asked.

Noticing the change of tone, Fred sighed and brought his hand to the bridge of his nose, pinching it with the muscles in his hand. "I'll see what I can find," he mumbled and I gave him a toothy grin. 

"Thanks, Fred, I knew I could count on you," I smiled and hopped off of the counter. Sending him one last smile, I stuffed my hands into my hoodie and walked out of the store.

Rain thundered down the cracked pavement, small drops forming and dripping down park benches along with sides of buildings. The bright sun was covered with huge gloomy clouds that watched over the city.

Carefully bringing the cap of my hoodie up to my head, my eyes narrowed at the upcoming cars. Splashes of the rain were heard throughout the city as different figures of adults and small children laughed and gossiped amongst themselves. Stop lights glowed in the rain, some birds flying to them for any bit of warmth. Cars stopped and went in a sequential order, almost as if they were programmed to do just that and not take a person to their actual destination.

My bright red converse splashed in the water as I walked down the pavement, following the crowd of people. My eyes darted from face to face in need of any familiarization but to no avail. I didn't know why sometimes we needed to see familiar faces, but I sometimes also forgot that I am human. Familiar surroundings brought us comfort and protection from the dangers of the outside world. Few have seen what I have and few have been able to recover from it. I am one of those few and lucky people.

But maybe I haven't recovered?

My legs took long strides towards the bus stop and immediately found its way underneath the hood of the stop. The bench that provided a home to the local homeless person on the street was currently occupied by just that. The homeless person was curled up in a ball, trying to conserve body heat. His body was covered by only a scrap of a blanket he might have found in a dumpster somewhere. His hair was formed into long braids as his face was covered in dirt and water.

Feeling the slightest bit of remorse. I reached into my back pocket and took out a $10 bill. Making sure no one was looking so they didn't know where I hid the bill, I stalked towards him and slid the bill into his beanie. Satisfaction soaked me as if though I was in a bathtub, showering in it.

If I couldn't have a good life, why shouldn't others have one?

The creaks and screeches of the local bus came around the corner, splashing poor pedestrians waiting for the light to turn green and trample down the road. Cries of horror and anger were heard as the bus dipped into a huge puddle, a lady in her expensive white cloak demanding for a replacement. Ignoring the demanding voices, the bus proceeded to its route.

It screeched as the old breaks rubbed against the wheels, making the bus come to a complete stop. The old lady bus driver reached for the lever and pulled it towards her, making the glass doors slide open. Reaching for the loose change in my pocket, I brought it out, my balled fist covering the quarters and dimes. The ageing bus driver gave me a small smile, her yellow and missing teeth making me cringe. 

I marched up the small steps of the bus and placed the change into the ceramic bowl. Not caring if I had enough or not, I walked towards the back of the bus, some people sitting here and there. I plopped down in a seat next to the window and tilted my head against the cold glass.

A screech was heard as the doors to the bus closed, signalizing that all pedestrians must sit down. The bus faltered a few inches back before continuing forward to its journey.

/////////

Hey guys! I just wanted to say that this is a filler chapter and is just explaining some things. This might not be as good as other because *cough cough* it's three in a morning*cough cough*. But anyway! Still hopped you liked the chapter.