chp 10: Stay

There was a dim quiet room surrounding the space, consuming Paul  with uneasiness 

Then...

Inhuman groans, causing sudden change of scenery.

There lays a body, hard to identify. Foggy vision, memory and illogical thinking blocking all lucidness from his mind.

He reaches his hand out, trying to confirm whatever was nearby.

Pale, veiny skin cold to the touch

The thing sat up slowly and before he knew, it was in his face within a millisecond revealing longish chestnut hair and haunting lifeless eyes

He was now lucid

His clear thinking and awareness sent a feeling of pins and needles through his entire body and a piercing  buzz filling his ears

He tried to yell but he felt paralysed

Paul's eyes shot open. The buzz, the paralysing fear, finally gone. 

Warm skin touched his own and Paul lifted his head from the bed to see Daryl shifting his own arms, eyes shut tight and teeth clenched together. He then heard the groans, they sounded pained but they were... human.

"Daryl?" He said softly, lips slightly trembling. The man's eyes opened instantly, looking to the ceiling then at the scout and Paul was so glad to see familiar sky blue irises. Daryl started breathing out ragged and heavy, groaning once again.

"P-Paul, it h-hurts" He groaned loudly. Shit, the painkillers, Paul remembered then reached for the stuff on the bedside table. Paul was relieved but panicked all at once. Seeing him in so much pain, of course, wasn't making him feel any less guilty even if it was better than seeing a reanimated Daryl. Most of all, he hoped he hadn't slept through most of his suffering.

"I know, I got it, I got it. just relax, Daryl. shh..." He soothed.

He gently grabbed the hunter's arm and inserted the syringe into his vein. Daryl's tension faded after a few moments and his breathing became almost normal. Paul waited a while before speaking.

"How long were you awake?" He asked anxiously. The older man gave him a funny look but answered anyway.

"Dunno, not long I guess." He said groggily, then thought for a long moment. "yer right ere so why-"

"-I just woke up myself." Paul answered, then cringed at how weird he must've sounded.

"wait, ya slept here?" Paul sighed as he nodded.

"I wanted to keep an eye on you, but I fell asleep In this chair not long after Dwight left the room."

"Dwight..." The man grunted, but with no signs of anger. "Remind me ta thank the bastard."

That surprised Paul. 

"Okay, where is Daryl and what have you done with him?" He joked, though in his mind he just realised it probably wasn't a good time. Daryl weakly chuckled in response then made eye contact with the scout. 

"Stop" He responded, just barely flashing a smirk. "We coulda' been dead, but he showed up." Paul was then reminded of the horrific event in the truck once again and let out a shuddered sigh. 

"I'm sorry." He choked. It was now Daryl's turn to sigh.

"Don't." He told him. Despite the fact he was now practically disabled, he refused to let Paul take the blame. "I shouldn't have left in the first place n' you were the one who warned me. I was stubborn. Put ya in a position ya didn't hafta be in."  Paul sniffled, eyes turning glassy with unshed tears. 

"I know but... I could've convinced you eventually an-"

"-I  said don't." The hunter growled. There was silence again for a while. Paul decided it was no use blaming himself out loud but it was all he could think of mentioning. What else was he supposed to talk about with Daryl, the weather? because nothing else could possibly be appropriate at this moment, not while Paul was feeling as awful as this. He kept picturing the man having to get use to crutches, getting helped around hilltop or even the damn bathroom. He imagined how that would affect Daryl, how he wouldn't be able to do any work for a while or do what he likes most. He cant hunt while trying to balance on crutches at the same time. 

Paul stood from his seat.

"I'll just let Maggie and the rest know you're awake." He told the hunter. Before he could take another step, Daryl spoke up.

"Wait." He spoke, as Paul felt rough finger tips brush the top of his hand. The scout froze, then turned to face the man once again. "Please stay." Daryl silently pleaded, looking so vulnerable to the scout. 

"okay" Paul responded, after a short while then sat back down. To Paul's surprise, Daryl smiled up at him but it didn't last long. It was obviously forced since that expression formed into something worse. The hunter's face scrunched up, fighting back tears but failed. Daryl was sobbing as he hung his head low and reached for Paul's hand. It took the scout aback but he let him grip onto him, Paul only gripped tighter and rested his forehead against the hunter's head, fighting the urge to break down.

"It's okay, Daryl." He whispered. "You're okay." 

(I had major writers block and other bullshit going on i'm sorry! I still do have this problem but I decided to at least do a short chapter anyway because I love ya'll and I haven't abandoned this story  so please forgive me. At least you guys know that Daryl is alive and well and doesn't blame Jesus because it wasn't even his fault anyway lol but I hope ya'll enjoyed and no I can't guarantee an early update after this but I haven't given up on it I swear xx)