THREE: Surprises

A/N: Okay-a couple of things to clarify. Even the most sensible people can get drunk (especially if you're not used to strong spirits) and disinhibited-and disinhibited Astrid (for example) is very happy and funny and doesn't think at all (see 'The Longest Day'). Young people, disinhibition, being in love can all lead to sex...but when they are themselves again, they will make difference choices. And 'a quiet night in' doesn't alway mean sex and did not in this case (though making out is entirely appropriate).

....

THREE: Surprises

Heather had sent a reply by return of Terror Mail, saying she was on her way to see her friend and Astrid couldn't help but feel excited at the prospect of seeing her best friend once more. Heather was as fierce, independent and focussed as Astrid herself and the two had a mutual understanding once Astrid had realised why Heather had betrayed the riders, back in their youth on Berk. She had often discussed Hiccup with Heather as well and the girl knew full well how much he meant to the Hooligan warrior.

So it was with a light heart she had stood on the landing platform outside the stables as the silver Razowhip screeched and came in to land in the late afternoon, the familiar hooded shape of the raven-haired girl sitting securely on her back. As soon as Windshear landed, Heather had leapt from her back and the two girls had embraced, laughing and talking excitedly. Heather's green eyes had swept over the Edge and a grin had lifted her lips as she saw the charred remains of Snotlout's hut.

"I see the neighbourhood has improved," she laughed as Astrid had joined in.

"You would think we had burnt off 'little Snotlout' with the amount of moaning we've had to endure," she giggled.

"Is everyone okay?" Heather had checked and the blonde had nodded.

"I know Fishlegs will be excited to see you," she admitted and a smile lit Heather's face.

"You know, he's such a nice guy," she admitted. "Even though Dagur can't understand why I like him. But he's so kind and generous...completely unlike my brother. I mean, don't get me wrong...Dagur is trying. He just doesn't have any experience or feel for being supportive. He sometimes looks puzzled when he yells at someone and they get upset by it." Astrid shrugged.

"Well, he's been deranged for so long that trying to act like a normal person is really going to be hard on him," Astrid murmured as they stabled Windshear next to Stormfly and then turned to the Clubhouse. "How's Shattermaster?" Heather sighed.

"He is going to be the fattest, most spoiled Gronckle in the Archipelago," she admitted. "Since he was injured and can no longer fly, Dagur visits him every day, making sure he's got a companion with him and an unlimited supply of granite and sandstone. I think he feels really guilty when he's flying with Sleuther, though he loves having a dragon..." Astrid shrugged.

"They are pretty special...just like to guy who showed us the truth about them," she sighed and Heather slipped her arm through Astrid's.

"So how is he?" she asked, grinning. "When you guys finally made it official, I thought all my Snoggletogs had come at once. You two are perfect together! So-any developments?" Astrid's eyes widened and she stared at her friend.

"What do you mean?' she asked too quickly and Heather's brows quirked.

"Defensive, Astrid?' she teased. "Any news on a betrothal?" Astrid's face fell.

"No," she said, "though we haven't been back to Berk for months, what with dealing with the volcano. I mean, we've finally stabilised it now...but there's a problem. The Hunters are still out there, and more vicious than ever! And Hiccup has been so busy..." Heather frowned.