THIRTY SIX: Enemy, my enemy

THIRTY SIX: Enemy, My Enemy

Reconstruction of the Edge was surprisingly swift, for everyone pitched in. It was decided to rebuild Hiccup's hut-because it was bigger-and allow Hjordis to move into Astrid's which was very close by. Of course, Hiccup's hut was rebuilt with two ballistas, a catapult and a watchtower to ensure that Astrid felt at home, but the sleeping level was expanded for a larger bed and an area for Val to sleep, with a chest for her things-many of which were gifts from Sniffling and Granite Isle. Hiccup had planned to build a new crib but Astrid had vetoed that, pointing out that his effort from Valkana's Isle was perfect and if it would good enough for their daughter, there was no point changing it. And that Snotlout would be unbearable if he learned that he had dragged it halfway across the Archipelago only to discard it. Laughing, Hiccup had conceded the point and the crib stayed.

The others took great pleasure in filling Hiccup and Astrid in on their adventures, explaining how they had been chasing for DragonEye lenses across the various islands, fighting Singetails on Armourwing Island, visited the Wingmaidens and almost having Ruff join their number.

"Though Tuff was actually far better at looking after her than I was," she admitted. "And it was a relief that she changed her bond to Atali." Hiccup glanced at the female twin and secretly agreed that was probably for the best.

"I know you've told me briefly about the Wing Maidens," Astrid spoke up. "Are they as fierce as they say?" Snotlout's face lit up.

"Babe-you're talking to the master," he announced brashly. "They couldn't resist all this perfection so they kidnapped me..."

"Planning to kill you and eat you..." Ruff pointed out.

"Though he would definitely have given them indigestion," Heather pointed out.

"If not poisoned the lot of them," Tuff added.

"So we rescued him and came to an agreement," Hiccup explained. "They are warriors dedicated to raising baby Razorwhips, which are pretty helpless and vulnerable to the males, which kill and eat them..." Sighing, the young woman stared at the flames in the firepit.

"I have missed so much," she admitted.

"And had so many adventures that I could never dream of," Hiccup added.

"You too," she swiftly replied but his face looked pensive and she recognised the look that meant his mind was drifting back to his time as a prisoner of the Captain. Toothless's anxious warble filled the room as Astrid took his hand and kissed it. "Babe...stay with me, 'kay?" With an effort, he blinked and looked up at her, nodding.

"Sorry," he sighed. "I'm good."

No, you're not, she realised sadly, feeling the tremble in his warm hand and squeezing reassuringly. But one day, it won't matter any more...

Hiccup had retrieved his cache of lenses and he and Fishlegs had sorted through them once more, seeking lenses from each dragon class...and realising they were almost there. But they were still a lens short and Hiccup had no idea where he would find a lens for Strike Class. All he knew was that he had lost so much time while he was chasing after Astrid and he had to thank Thor and Odin that in that time, his enemies hadn't already found the King of Dragons and snatched control of Dragonkind.

oOo

It was a sunny day on the Edge and Valkana had been fed and put down. Hjordis was tutting and muttering something about making some more suitable clothes for a Chieftess so Hiccup and Astrid escaped to the beach on the west of the island for a little time together. Behind them, Toothless and Stormfly were gambolling on the sands, playing a game that seemed to consist of pounce-on-each-other...and the pair kept laughing at the antics of their dragons. So sitting next to each other on a blanket on the sands, arms around each other and just about to start a picnic that Hiccup had prepared, the young couple closed their eyes and savoured the warmth of the day.