THIRTY-NINE: Family

THIRTY NINE: Family

The afternoon was a glorious sunny affair, the warmth caressing the Edge and illuminating the happy couple. Hiccup looked pale but restored by an apologetic Fishlegs, who had dosed him with raw eggs, willowbark, milk and a mixture of herbs suggested by his botany book which could cure 'All The Ills of Meade'. Dressed in his armour, polished within an inch of its life, a new red tunic and fresh leggings and with his lightly-tamed hair glossy in the sunlight, Hiccup's face was lit by his smile as his bride made her proud way from her hut to the Clubhouse.

Astrid was dressed in a long dress of sky blue made of material that Heather had brought from Berserk and which the twins and Hjordis had transformed into an elegant gown, stitched with gold around the sweetheart neck, cuffs and hem. There were little gold axes embroidered at the hem, along with small dragons and tiny gems-a gift from Granite Isle to their departing Chief-were sewn in to represent the dragons' eyes. Her Betrothal gift hung around her neck and in her hands, she carried a small posy of Forget-me-nots. Her Maid of Honour, Heather, and Assistant Maid of Honour, Ruffnut, were dressed in silver-grey gowns with white elder-flowers in their posies.

Dagur was almost bouncing with excitement, clean-shaven and in polished armour and an iron circlet, looking every inch a Chief with Snotlout at his side, representing Berk. Hiccup's Best Man was, of course, the sleek black shape of Toothless, the dragon looking excited as well, with big green eyes and pricked ears. The others were assembled in the Clubhouse with the dragons perched on the walkway outside as the couple faced each other framed by the doorway with the sunlight streaming over them. Hjordis rocked Valkana, who was sucking hard on her little fist, her blue eyes wide and watchful.

"We are gathered here to celebrate the wedding here on Dragon's Edge of these two young Vikings, chosen by each other for love and sworn to each other in the same," Dagur announced. "Fearless Astrid Hofferson, Chief of Granite Island, Shield Maiden of Berk, Rider of Stormfly the Deadly Nadder, do you agree to marry the Dragon Master, Hiccup Horrendous Haddock the Third, leader of the Dragon Riders, conquerer of the Red Death, son of Stoick the Vast, Chief of Berk, adoptive brother of Dagur the Deranged, Chief of Berserk, rider of Toothless the Night Fury?"

"I do!" Astrid's voice was loud and steady and Hiccup found himself lost in her eyes which were lit with her love for him.

"I do!" he replied when he was asked the same question.

Dagur stared at them and carefully placed their hands together. Smiling, he placed his own hand over theirs.

"Does anyone object to this union?" he asked as Heather glared across the room and Toothless growled. There was silence, interrupted by Chicken squawking.

"She says she loves weddings!" Tuff piped up hastily as Heather looked fit to axe the fowl to death.

"Moving swiftly on..." Dagur said quickly. "Astrid-do you take Hiccup to be your husband? Will you love and honour, cherish and protect him? Will you respect his individuality, attend to his needs, lift him when he is down, share in his joy, bask in his adoration and love him forever?"

There was a pause and Fishegs sniffed.

"I will," Astrid said clearly.

"Hiccup-do you take Astrid to be your wife? Will you love and honour, cherish and protect her? Will you respect her individuality, attend to her needs, lift her when she is down, share in her joy, bask in her adoration, protect and accept the children you have together and love her forever?"

"I will," Hiccup announced without hesitation, his eyes shining with love.

Toothless cooed approval and nudged the carven oak box he had been charged to carry to the ceremony towards Dagur. Ignoring the fact it was drenched in dragon drool, the Berserker Chief opened it to find two beautifully crafted golden rings, Viking runes precisely incised into the delicate band. He lifted the rings on the palm of his hand and closed his eyes.