THIRTY-EIGHT: Ending and Beginning

THIRTY EIGHT: Ending and Beginning

Sneaking along the tunnels, Hiccup and Astrid found themselves within earshot the Johann's 'office' and they could clearly make out the voices from within. Hiccup tensed as he caught Viggo's voice-and it seemed the Hunter was getting a tongue-lashing from Krogan.

"Now Hiccup knows how many lenses we have-and how many we need!" he raged. "Your loose lips could bring us all down!"

"As usual, you're missing the big picture," Viggo replied calmly. "With Hiccup captured, we've won. We can demand whatever we want from those weak-willed Berkians and the Dragon Riders!"

"Have you forgotten about the King of Dragons and our Buyer?" Krogan raged. "This can only slow us down!"

"I'm sorry!" Viggo snapped sarcastically. "Who was the one who actually captured Hiccup Haddock? Perhaps your employer would like to hear about his star pupil's consistent failure?"

"How dare you!" Krogan raged, clearly on the brink of attacking the Hunter.

"This bickering is pointless," Johann cut across him, his tone bored. "Get rid of the boy!"

"Wait!" The word was out of Viggo's mouth so quickly that the listening Hiccup was shocked. Krogan turned on him immediately.

"Why do you want him alive?" he challenged Viggo. "He scarred your face, destroyed your brother...and decimate your empire..."

"And he has lenses!" Viggo reminded them. "His are likely to compliment our own...including the one we are missing! Or has your hubris got the better of you again?"

"You speak of him like your pupil-instead of a boy who defeated the Chief of the Dragon Hunting Tribe again and again!" Krogan scoffed.

"He humiliated you with defeat after defeat!" Johann accused him, slamming the man against the wall. There was the snikt of a knife. "Yet you don't want him dead...when you sent bounty hunters to kill him last year? So what changed Viggo?" His voice hardened. "You thought I wouldn't figure you out? I can smell betrayal a mile away! I didn't spend years snivelling at the feet of every Viking on the Archipelago to be destroyed by some two-bit crime lord!" But there was the hiss of gas and Krogan looked around. Already knowing what would happen next, Hiccup grabbed Astrid and dragged her-and Toothless-into a shady nook as an explosion sounded and Viggo erupted from the room, with guards in hot pursuit. Two archers emerged, about to run after him but two accurate blasts from the Night fury took them out as Astrid stared around.

"What do you want me to do?" she asked. "I won't leave you, babe. And I can't trust Viggo!" He nodded.

"I know-and I don't-but so far-he's done everything he said, including making a diversion," he admitted. Though he never mentioned anything about imprisoning me. That was a horrible shock... "Is Stormfly ready?" She nodded.

"We've got your exit covered," she promised. "But you're completely insane if you believe I'm leaving you in here with these enemies, Hiccup. I'm in this with you...because I think you need me!"

"And because you won't leave me anyway," he reminded her. She smirked triumphantly.

"Let's go, babe," she smiled as they ran down the corridor. There were roars and explosions as Hiccup suddenly veered left, his face lighting in relief.

"Finally," he gasped. "There it is!" And he walked forward into he room as Astrid guarded the corridor...until a stone shifted under his metal foot and the whole room shook.

"Look out!" Astrid gasped as arrows shot from the walls and Toothless batted the arrows away. Swinging onto Toothless's back, the Night Fury and his Rider barrelled forward, ducking the arrows as they headed for the column with the armoured chest perched on top. "Of course he runs into the hail of arrows...he's Hiccup..." she muttered to herself, lifting her axe and readying herself for the guards who were sure to come at the racket. And then she gaped as he reached the chest unscathed.