THIRTY: Time

THIRTY: Time

Leaning into the turn, Hiccup felt a weary sigh run through him. They had been flying for days since they had left Granite Isle, searching every island and rocky outcrop, seeking the woman who didn't want to be found. Astrid had vanished and though he would never give up looking, a small part of Hiccup was starting to lose hope. The Gods had thwarted him at every turn, sending him the wrong way and ensuring he missed her at every opportunity-but he prayed they would be merciful now that she needed him more than ever. He knew the time constraints and was scared that Astrid would go into labour all alone, with no one to help.

Toothless gave a sudden bark and the young Viking lifted his eyes-to see the flare of magnesium-white flame shoot up into the grey and stormy sky. It was rising from a very small rocky islet, maybe ten miles ahead but as they watched, the flash of flame was repeated.

Stormfly's distress signal! Astrid...

"Come on, bud," Hiccup murmured, leaning forward as the first real surge of hope he had felt for months warmed his chest. "We need to get to them..." But Toothless's great wings were already pumping faster and for a second, the thrill of acceleration surged through Hiccup as the wind shrieked over the Night Fury's wings. Leaning as low as he could over the dragon's neck, Hiccup's emerald gaze was fixed on the misty shape ahead, the brilliant flash showing once more and he felt his pulse accelerate. Stormfly was desperate and he felt Toothless respond, the wind so fierce it was almost like a blow. And the island grew steadily but far too slowly closer.

Toothless roared and finally, Hiccup heard the longed-for screech of a Nadder, replying. The Night Fury was already swooping round and they dropped towards the blue shape, pacing anxiously on a rocky ledge outside what was definitely a cave. Toothless landed and Hiccup leapt from the saddle, barely noticing the cold wind or drizzle in the breeze, pausing and raising his hands to soothe the agitated Nadder. Gently, he eased forward, murmuring reassurances to the dragon until finally, he was able to lay his hands on her face, expertly stroking the scaly skin and rubbing her tenderly, ignoring the brief flash of memory of the Nadder the Captain had killed before him. She paused and closed her eyes, leaning into his touch and giving a little croak of worry.

"It's okay, girl," he murmured. "I'm here now. Toothless is here. We'll look after Astrid..."

The dragon's head snapped up as a low groan sounded and Hiccup's breath hitched: Astrid! He pulled away and ran through the mouth of the cave, his eyes adjusting the gloom, seeing a fire dancing away, casting irregular warm shadows. Leaning against a wall was Astrid, her head down and a hand splayed over her swollen middle, breathing heavily against the pain. He took a few steps into the cave and then paused, seeing her in distress before his heart took over and he ran to her side, resting his hand over hers and wrapping the other arm around her shoulders and pulling her close.

"Astrid," he breathed.

"You took your bloody time..." she growled through her teeth, her voice strained with the pain of the contraction. But she leaned against him, rocking slightly against the pain until it ebbed for the moment. He nuzzled against her hair.

"You made it really hard to find you," he murmured. "But I'm here now...if you want me...?" She lifted her head, looking exhausted. But her azure eyes sparkled with relief and her pale lips curved in a smile. Then her fist slammed into his shoulder, a pale shadow of her normal hit but still enough to make him wince.

"That's for being a mutton-head and ever imagining I didn't want you..." she told him. "I left for me because I could not survive seeing you married to someone else..."

"Same reason why I left," he told her gently. "I couldn't marry someone else when I love you." She half-turned to him and looked up into his face: he looked drawn as well, more tired and a little thinner than she recalled, but his eyes were glowing with his love for her.