-1- Heterochromia's not Rare; this one just isn't Normal.

Cross admired himself, his reflection shining in the mirroring seawaters

The longer the days passed, the more he found his eyes an interesting sight. He's never seen another person with mismatched eyes like his. 

His eye, that gleaming blue one--

The longer Cross observed it, the more it seemed to be eating away at himself. He is entranced by it, absorbed by it, immersed for ages simply looking at it each day.

Carefully, he tore his gaze away.

Don't look, he was reminded by himself. Don't look, not for too long, Cross.

You may look at the blue of the seas; you may look at the blue of the skies... but your left eye-- that is one blue you may not look to deeply into.

It's a curse, he reminded himself, it's ugly.

"Cross, that's about enough," came an interruption very unwelcome, from a man much older, with a tone much deeper.

Hands curl around his temples, fingers curtain over and cast its shade over the light that reflected into Cross's eyes. 

Cross leaped back up to his feet quickly, lifting up to his feet with a jump light as a feather. Pulling up the hood of his sleeveless parka, he grins cheekily, a happy farce.

Scampering on tiny, soft and chubby paws, a little bear cub, brown furred, green-eyed-- it made its merry way one round of the cabin. Pausing one step before Cross, he hopped and boosted himself an excited four feet into Cross's arms.

The melancholy on his face wiped off for end, Cross stretched his lips wide and twirled around in a semblance of a gleeful dance, holding the bear up high and having fun.