-34- A Day in the Life; of a Boat, in the Night.

"Hey, why is Leer called Leer?" Visul spoke up to the two males on the boat

The bear 'gao'ed on her head. Maybe he wanted to know too.

Visul had taken root on the roof of the cabin, and Leer was starting to prefer her company to Cross'. Cross, hood up and asleep, hung dangerously at the edge of the boat, snoring.

Takara threw his fishing line into the sea-- "Leer loves money as much as a perverted old geezer loves young girls. So we called him Leer, cause he's always leering at people that look like they'd have money on them."

At that, Visul burst into laughter. The bear cuddled under her arm whined in protest like a child with their father exposing embarrassing secrets.

"You really like money that much?" Visul asked the bear, who nodded and growled in response.

"When we were fighting on the mountain, he ravaged the towns and filled up the cabin with cash. Wanna see?" Takara asked, "it's under the desk and inside the kitchen cabinets."

Visul paled.

Leaping off the cabin, she ran into the cabin and opened the closet. Wads upon wads of pure cash just spilled out of it.

She turned to the bear.

The bear grinned almost cheekily.

  ー  

"O...ha...ra?" Visul read off the map, "I think. Hey, Takara, why did you cross this one out?"

Takara turned off the stove, transferring a fried fish onto a plate carefully.

"That map's from nearly fifty years ago, it's a treasure," Takara told her, "but it's oughta be a little inaccurate now. For example, that island-- Ohara-- has been gone for about twenty years."

"Huh?" Visul perked up, "an island can disappear?"

"It can," Takara answered simply. Leer hungrily poked at the fish-- and Takara flicked the bear in the nose. "Very easily, at the push of a tiny golden button."