0.6 | 강 우

R A I N F A L L

  »»-------------¤-------------««  

That night, loneliness came to me like an old friend.

My dad having been promoted to an ER medic two years ago, he was usually home at odd hours. Sometimes he'd be back in time for dinner - and those days were my favorite, the two of us simply chatting about our days over take-out meals in the living room.

Today, however, was not one of them.

Dad called at eight, apologizing for missing my birthday, his tone regretful. I told him it was fine, even though I could feel disappointment paint my chest a heavy blue.

"We'll visit Mom soon though, alright?"

When the call ended, I sat on my bed for a few minutes, feeling somehow muted. For a minute, I didn't move, simply listening to the sussurating sounds of the drizzling rain outside.

The mention of Mom didn't help with the lonely ache in my heart either - I missed her.

After a day of laughter and cakes and almost-kisses, the quiet of my bedroom was jarring in comparison.

So much so that as tendrils of loneliness started twining around my lungs, I acted on impulse and ran out of the house in search of you. 

I craved for your comfort, ached for the warmth you bring me. So I let the rain engulf me in its icy embrace, let it soak my shirt as my feet led me to you.

Slipping through the gate of our neighboring houses, I tiptoed over to your backyard, picking up some pebbles on my way and stopping to look up at your room, which was directly across from mine.

Funny - how I was in the same exact position you were in just this morning when you surprised me. Funny, how we are so much like parallel lines; a girl caught in a downpour, and a boy who brought the dawn with him.

So I mirrored your actions and threw one, two, three pebbles at your window, the sounds lost in the echo of the rain. And kept throwing, hoping against all odds that you'd hear it, that you'd look out the window.

You did.

And then your eyes widened, your lips mouthing my name in utter disbelief, before you ran out of your room -

Only to appear in front of me half a minute later looking like a mirage, a yellow umbrella in your right hand, your expression holding so much concern that all I could do was to wordlessly rush over to you.

I knew that you saw the sadness in my face, the way your eyes flickered over me in worry and understanding.

And so you didn't need to ask nor did you hesitate.

Instead you sprinted to meet me as well.

And we met in the middle, my shivering body colliding with yours, my hands encircling your waist as you reached in to hold me tight without any questions.

   »»-------------¤-------------««